It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why can I not initialize an RTC 4.0.2 project area?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Apr 23 '13, 9:21 a.m.
Hello,

I have just performed a local installation of RTC 4.0.2.  When trying to create a new project area based on any of the built-in process templates I get the following error:

'Initialize Project Area Failed'
com.ibm.team.process.common.advice.TeamOperationCanceledException

I tried basing project areas off different process templates but it resulted in me now having three un-initialized project areas...

After searching the web I found simlar issues here and here that both mentioned the activation of the data warehous.  During the JTS setup wizard I opted out of the data warehouse setup so it is currently not configured.  Is it mandatory for me to activate the DW to create a project area?  In RTC 3.0.1.1 it wasn't like that...

Regards,

Andrew

3 answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Apr 23 '13, 9:50 a.m.
Which process template are you using?
It should not be required to use DW.
As a workaround, you can remove the offending initialization action Setup Project for Reports

Additionally, it might be helpful if you provided a full stack trace of the issue.

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Apr 24 '13, 2:14 a.m.

Hello Piotr,

Thank you for the input.  I opted for enabling the DW since I don't know how to remove an initialization action.

Regards,

Andrew

Piotr Aniola commented Apr 24 '13, 7:36 a.m.

I'm happy it worked out for you, but I'm still not sure what was the root cause.
I create one project area a day, on average, for testing purposes. I virtually never have a DW set up, and all the OOTB templates work fine for me.

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered Apr 23 '13, 12:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 You don't need to set up the DW to instantiate a project. You may want to check to make sure that the user you're logging in as has the JazzAdmins or JazzProjectAdmins role assigned to it. If I recall, those are the only roles that are allowed to create projects.

in jts/admin, go to the Active Users and select your user. The Jazzxxx roles will be on the right.

Comments
Jared Burns commented Apr 23 '13, 1:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The "initialization" steps technically happen after the project area is created, so he must have permission to create the project area.

I think we need a stack trace.

Andrew Trobec commented Apr 24 '13, 2:13 a.m.

Hello Jim and Jared,

Thanks for your input.

I had no problems creating the project areas since the user I was logged with had the right permissions.  They remained in status uninitialized and that is where I was stuck.

To solve I enabled the data warehouse instead of following Piotr's option of modifying the initialization process.  Everything works now!

Regards,

Andrew

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | answered Apr 24 '13, 2:15 a.m.
Hello All,

In order to solve I enabled the data warehouse.

Regards,

Andrew

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.