It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What happens to the change set when we MOVE a work item from one project area to another in RTC 4.0?

S Gurugubelli (21710) | asked Apr 04 '13, 3:33 p.m.

Hi,

I want to move the work item from one project area to another. This work item has one change set associated with it. The change set in this work item contans 12 programs.

If I MOVE this work item to a different project area, what happens to the change set associated with it?

Will it move to the new project area? If it moves, is it safe to assume that the moved change set does not have

associaation with the new work item which I create listing same programs?

I am exploring this path, because deleting work item did not really help me as the change set still exists.

(it does not get rid of the change set when we delete a work item, just it removes reference to the change set. The change set left with no work item associated to it, but it is there).

Thanks for you help.

Sekhar

Comments
Mark Guertin commented Apr 04 '13, 3:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

What is the goal you are trying to accomplish here? Is it removing a change set? Or do you want to move a change set to that new/different project area?

S Gurugubelli commented Apr 04 '13, 4:48 p.m.

I have created a work item (ex: WI 1) with 12 program in it. All of them are in one change set. When we promote this work item to PROD, all the programs (12) are being promoted. But since we are migrating the system to RTC 4.0, we want to promote only one program and see how our promote procedure works. I couldn't find a way to dis-associate a program from the work item I have already created (with 12 programs all in one change set).  

So I tried to delete the work item (WI 1). But it did not delete the change set associated with it. I have cheked in Jazz forum and found that we could move the work item to a different project area. So I am exploring 'Move work item' option. <o:p> </o:p>

My intention is to move or delete this work item (WI 1 & it's change set), so that I can create another work item with only one program in it and move it to PROD.  <o:p> </o:p>

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 04 '13, 9:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
What you are trying to do here is "split" a change set ... i.e. split out a separate change set that only has the one program in it.   Note that this is completely unrelated to what work item(s) the change set is associated with, i.e. it is a change set issue, not a work item issue.   Once a change set is completed (and delivering a change set automatically completes it), you are not allowed to split out its changes.   The best you can do is create a new change set that has a copy of the change (you can use the "patch" mechanism to help create that new change set).   There is a work item requesting the ability to split a completed change set: Allow moving changes out of a delivered change set ("splitting" the change set) (59688) .  Please feel free to add a comment indicating your interest/support.

Comments
S Gurugubelli commented Apr 09 '13, 5:41 p.m. | edited Apr 09 '13, 7:22 p.m.

Geoffrey,

Thanks for you reply.
Can you please tell me how to create new change sets using "patch" mechanism?

Thanks,
Sekhar

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 09 '13, 7:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Right click over the change set, and select the "New.. -> Patch" operation.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.