It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Send mail to all members of a team generates comma sep list - how to generate a semicolon sep list

Martina Riedel (20323341) | asked Mar 05 '13, 10:51 a.m.
edited Mar 05 '13, 10:52 a.m.
RTC 3.0.1
Every so often I need to send email to a long list of users, all members of a project. I can select them all in the project area and click "Send mail ..." and it opens a new email in outlook with a list of everybody's email address - comma separated.
Outlook likes users email to be separated by semicolons. (I can obviously run it through a text editor, but ..)
Is there a setting somewhere where that can be tweaked?
I googled and searched and haven't found it

Comments
Martina Riedel commented Mar 20 '13, 5:53 p.m.

This has now become a major pain in the behind. We would like to send email to all 600 users and "Send mail" is our only way to get their emails. And the comma separated string is too long for outlook, so we have ot do batches, as in a different batch for almost every letter of the alphabet.
We don't have jazzAdmin or server access, so it really is a pain and I haven't found any other way to get there.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 21 '13, 4:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 21 '13, 4:51 a.m.
Martina,

one possible solution is to use http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/analyzing-a-aroject-areas-members-and-roles-using-the-plain-java-client-libraries/ and just dump the users e-mail addresses into a file - any format you want. You could use that to compose your e-mail or batches of e-mails.

I can't say why Outlook has issues. My machine comes up with Thunderbird (no idea why, since I have Lotus Notes installed) and that seems to work fine.

You could consider writing a PMR or defect. But that won't help you with the Outlook limitation for a big number of users. So I would consider to rather request the capability to get the users e-mail addresses in a file, or be able to compose the mail directly (in the web UI). 

Comments
Martina Riedel commented Mar 23 '13, 3:33 p.m.

outlook is fine with 600 users - as long as it recognizes it as 600 users. since it doesn't recognize commas as separator, it sees it as one address with the longth of a bazillion characters. So I don't blame it for crashing.
PMR is in the works.
Thanks for posting the link to your blog, I will look at that as well. We did the manual clicking and sent our email, so right now its not the hottest potato.

Martina Riedel commented Mar 23 '13, 3:39 p.m.

Ralph,
One more question. You said "or be able to compose the mail directly (in the web UI)".
I am in the web ui, and I don't see any functionality of sending email.
This is RTC 3.0.1.
I can edit the roles of a member, send a team invite or delete. And I can add members. My guess is  that you are eluding to 4.x functionality.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 25 '13, 4:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Martina, I wrote:

You could consider writing a PMR or defect. But that won't help you with the Outlook limitation for a big number of users. So I would consider to rather request the capability to get the users e-mail addresses in a file, or be able to compose the mail directly (in the web UI)
So I suggested to ask for an enhancement request. Today, as far as I can tell including RTC 4.x, you can only select a team or project and send an e-mail to the members from the Eclipse client.

Martina Riedel commented Mar 25 '13, 10:53 a.m.

Outlook doesn't have an issue with a large number of users. Outlook has an issue with a string a mile long that it cannot parse. If RTC would generate a semicolon separated string, outlook would be happy. So I think its a defect on  the RTC side.
Like I said, PMR is in the works. It takes a while for me to work my way through the system on our side

Ryan Davidson commented May 31 '17, 10:00 a.m.

Martina

Did you raise a PMR or see any progress on this in the end? We have the same issue (and at present my workaround is to paste in text editor and find/replace... which is a paint).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.