It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sub-categories are listed in Alphabetical Order instead of Logical order in iRAM Asset Search page.

iRAM Administrator (3152156135) | asked Mar 04 '13, 12:13 p.m.

In iRAM Asset search page, under Category filter search section, sub-categories are listed in Alphabetical order instead of logical order of category schema structure.

Few months before, iRAM search listed logical order of the sub-categories, but now it lists in alphabetical order in iRAM search page.

Is this proposed new design? (OR) Is there any issue in the code?

One answer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Mar 04 '13, 6:28 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't know how you saw them out of order. They have always been in a sorted order from day 1.

There is one peculiar feature which may of caused you to think they were in definition order. On the first level (i.e. you didn't hit view more...>>>) only the top 10 subcategories by count (e.g. the count of the number of assets that have the subcat assigned) are selected and then ordered alphabetically. When view more is hit they are all shown alphabetically that have at least one asset assigned to it.

Comments
iRAM Administrator commented Mar 05 '13, 5:52 a.m.

Rich, Thanks for your reply.
I just explain about my question in below with example:
If an example; Fruit is the category name and added into RAM repository like a below order (logical order) for the customer/user.

Fruit
 | Banana
 |
Grapes
 | Apple
 |
Cabinet Cherry

Note: All sub-categories are NOT alphabetical order in above structure.

Fruit’s sub-categories are all having assets and searchable in search page.
But in the RAM Asset search page, when user clicks “Fruit” category schema
The subcategories listed in below order (alphabetical)

Fruit
 | Apple
 |
Banana
 | Cabinet Cherry
 |
Grapes

Why is RAM listing in Alphabetical order?

Earlier our user saw the logical order in RAM asset search page; even user shared us the screen-shot of earlier sub-categories “logical order” listing. But, now iRAM shows alphabetical order for the same category schema.

Is this proposed new design requirement? (OR) Is there any issue in the code?

Rich Kulp commented Mar 05 '13, 10:42 a.m.

I looked back in the code from the beginning and they were always sorted alphabetically when displayed on the left side tree of facets on the search page. They were never explicitly displayed in definition order. There is no code at all for taking definition order into account. That would require accessing the actual category definition during display of the facets no the search page and the category definition is never accessed.

I even brought up an internal 7202 RAM instance and verified they are displayed in alphabetical order.

For example in the following from 7202. The actual order of the items is defined in the order by name, (i.e. "First" is first, "Second" is second, etc.). And here it is shown that they are displayed in alphabetical order:

Marian Friedman commented Mar 05 '13, 3:10 p.m. | edited Mar 05 '13, 4:04 p.m.

Here's a copy and paste of a screenshot I have from when the category schema for this community displayed in logical order:

I'd like to construct a link that I can use to point individuals directly to the top of the category schema. 

Marian Friedman commented Mar 05 '13, 3:16 p.m.

Rich Kulp commented Mar 05 '13, 3:35 p.m.

What version and testfix of RAM is this? Pull down the Help->About page to get the version of RAM, and if 7511, then click the "Click here" link for testfix information and only the toplevel testfix number is sufficient, I don't need the whole list> This isn't the current iRAM.

iRAM Administrator commented Mar 12 '13, 5:48 a.m.

Dear Rich,

We do not know exact version of user Marian's screen-shot (listing logical order) iRAM page.
Current version of iRAM is listing only Alphabetical. I just mentioned test fixes details of current version of iRAM.

Current version of iRAM is:
IBM Rational Asset Manager v7.5.1.1 Build: RAM7511-I20120320_1046

Installed test fixes :-

testFix15a-79755
testFix14b-79107
testFix13b-78441
testFix12e-77737
testFix11c-76104
testFix10b-75806
testFix9e-74630
testFix8d-73312
testFix7d-71971
testFix6c-71496
testFix5e-70522
testFix4e-69861
testFix3c-69464
testFix2d-68223
testFix1f-66231

Thank you
Bakiyaraj Arul
bakiyaraj.arul@in.ibm.com
+91-9840144332

Rich Kulp commented Mar 12 '13, 10:39 a.m.

OK, I don't know how Marian ever saw that. I see the screen shot, but I don't know how it is possible. As far as I can tell, all of the way as far back as I can go in the code (7.2.0.2) the subcategories were always displayed in alphabetical order.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.