It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Associate a work item with a changeset while delivering it to stream using RTC SDK

Youraj Singh (23136) | asked Mar 04 '13, 8:04 a.m.
edited Mar 04 '13, 8:20 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)
Hi,

We are using RTC SDK to read some details from the repository.
We have referred to the following link:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RTCSDK20_SourceControl

It works well as far as reading data is concerned.

We are also trying to commit data using the API's provided by the SDK but we are facing problems while delivering it to the stream. The precondition defined to associate a work item with the change set doesn't allow us to deliver the same.

Is there a way by which we can associate an existing work item or new work item with the change set? This would help us delivering the content into the stream.

Any Help is highly appreciated.

Thank You,
Youraj

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 04 '13, 10:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 04 '13, 10:45 a.m.
Hi, I will provide it as an answer, because a comment won't fit.

Please read https://jazz.net/library/article/292 . Based on that add a new role to your process configuration for example name it automation.

Add this role to the automation user and order the roles so that the automation role is on the top (or the first role in the member view. This is the primary role.

Then go to the operational behavior configuration. If you check the operational behavior is configured for the automation user but don't enter the precondition that stops you from delivering today, or make it optional, like in the image below, the following happens (provided the automation user has the role in the process area that owns the stream). The operational behavior will find the user has role Automation, it will look for the operation, find there is a configuration and there is nothing configured (or only optional). The operational behavior will fire (or not fire) for this role. Since operational behavior only fires for the first role found, this user would not have to provide a work item link.

This way you basically override the operational behavior configuration for the secondary roles. The image below adds the configuration that is overwritten for everyone.

Youraj Singh selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 04 '13, 10:46 a.m.

I added the image for the configuration for role Everyone.

Youraj Singh commented Mar 04 '13, 11:19 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the detailed description. But i am aware of this approach where in you can remove all the preconditions in RTC Eclipse Client. I am wondering if i could do the same using any of the API's in my source code before invoking deliver API.
e.g.
Before i invoke
/Method used to deliver/
workspace.deliver(stream, sync, Collections.EMPTY_LIST,
                        sync.outgoingChangeSets(component), monitor);
Is there any API like
OverrulePrecondition()
/Can be used to overrule all defined preconditions

The intent, here, is to successfully commit and deliver the content to the stream over-ruling all the preconditions.

Regards,
Youraj

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 05 '13, 2:03 a.m. | edited Mar 05 '13, 2:04 a.m.

Hi Youraj,

to me this makes no sense at all. You can configure the process in such a way, that you can deliver with your automation user as described above. Human users don't get the role required to do that. Or rather, it is up to you which user has which role and which process enactment applies to that user. From my perspective that is how it should be done.

I would not give the automation user Admin rights that allows him to reconfigure the process. Mutch too dangerous and expensive.

The Eclipse client can overrule server preconditions, if they are configured to allow that. Other than that a server precondition that is mandatory can not be overruled.

The Eclipse Client is used to configure the process -> some API in Eclipse can configure the process (operational behavior) -> you can use some mechanism in Eclipse to change the process so that behavior does not apply to the automation user.

I have not played with that part of the API and don't currently intent to. You can try that path, I would suggest to rather follow the proposal above.

Youraj Singh commented Mar 06 '13, 12:05 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

From the eclipse RTC Client a user having all admin privileges can overrule all the preconditions while delivering the change set. I believe this is being done by calling some API's internally which forcefully overrule all the preconditions. My question here is whether these API's are exposed or not. If these are already there in the exposed source API's list, i can very well make use of them.

Please correct me if i am wrong here.

Regards,
Youraj

Youraj Singh commented Mar 06 '13, 11:33 p.m.

The additional role creation and configuring no preconditions for the role helped me to deliver the changes.
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Youraj

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 07 '13, 4:50 p.m.

Got confused and deleted my unnecessary comment.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 04 '13, 8:24 a.m.
Hi, you have several options, I think.

1. You can create a special role and assign it to the user that runs the automation. Make it the primary role and override the requirement to associate a work item for this role.
  2. You can link a work item to the change set.

For the latter option, see http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/restrict-delivery-of-changesets-to-workitem-types-advisordelivery-of-changesets-associated-to-wrong-work-item-types-advisor/ for how to look at change sets in this context, see http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/the-rtc-workitem-link-api-linking-workitems-to-other-elements/ and http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/the-rtc-workitem-server-link-api-linking-to-work-items-and-other-elements/ for the link API. If you use the Client Libraries look at http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/setting-up-rational-team-concert-for-api-development/ how to set it up together with the API to have access to the source code.

Comments
Youraj Singh commented Mar 04 '13, 9:27 a.m.

Can you please elaborate more on how to go about the first option?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.