It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work item approval during delivery at the component level

Emeka Igbokwe (133) | asked Feb 07 '13, 3:58 p.m.
OOTB you can require approvals at the stream level is it possible to take it a step further and require approvals only  when specific components in the stream are being delivered to.

2 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 07 '13, 5:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The require work item approval advisor isn't configurable per component. You can still get it to operate this way if the components are owned by different team areas. The team area for components that you want the approvals can enable the advisor. There is no way to do this if you need the components to be owned by the same owner.

Comments
Emeka Igbokwe commented Feb 07 '13, 6:25 p.m.

I tried that  I had 3 components in  the stream.   Two of the components and the stream belonged to the team area that the approval precondition was enabled.  the third component belonged to a different team team area but was still prompted for an approval when modifying this component

Tim Mok commented Feb 11 '13, 9:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sorry about this incorrect information. I mixed up the way permissions work and it's the stream owner that sets the advisors, not the component owner.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 08 '13, 1:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not aware of an OOTB way to require different approvals for different components in the same stream.  In particular, I believe that the Deliver preconditions are based only on the Process Configuration of the project/team area that owns the stream that is the target of the deliver operation, and is not affected by the Process Configuration of the project/team area that owns the component.

Comments
Emeka Igbokwe commented Feb 08 '13, 11:26 a.m.

Is it possible to obtain the implementation details of the OOTB "Require Work Item Approval"  precondition. To  help develop a custom operations advisor  based on a modified version of the  precondition.
The modified version would require an approval only  if there are changeset(s)  in the delivery  being delivered  to component(s) that are not owned by the  same team area as the stream.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 08 '13, 11:39 a.m. | edited Feb 08 '13, 11:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Emeka,

http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/restrict-delivery-of-changesets-to-workitem-types-advisordelivery-of-changesets-associated-to-wrong-work-item-types-advisor/ shows an advisor that handles delivery. That should give you a skeleton that you can get started with. You can learn about how to create these kind of extensions and get your development environment set up using https://jazz.net/library/article/1000
Set up that way allows also to use the PDE (Eclipse Plugin Development Environment) to look into the SDK and find some of the code. In addition my blog has several other API examples that should allow you to figure if the work item has an approval.

Emeka Igbokwe commented Feb 10 '13, 10:38 a.m.

Thanks that helps a lot

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.