It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I define interactions between different fields?

Rui Shen (51103) | asked Nov 07 '08, 5:14 a.m.
As I know, I can create a new field or edit the existing fields in a template, such as Agile Process. Now I want to do this thing: when I choose a value 'A' in field1, I hope some content is changed in the field2. If I choose the value 'B', the content of the field2 could do corresponding changes as well. May I achieve this effect by customizing the template file?

7 answers

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Nov 10 '08, 2:18 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Someone who works on the Work Item component might now otherwise, but I
don't believe this is possible.

Jared Burns
Jazz Process Team

ilovepumpkin wrote:
As I know, I can create a new field or edit the existing fields in a
template, such as Agile Process. Now I want to do this thing: when I
choose a value 'A' in field1, I hope some content is changed in the
field2. If I choose the value 'B', the content of the field2 could
do corresponding changes as well. May I achieve this effect by
customizing the template file?

permanent link
Lawrence Smith (3764) | answered Nov 11 '08, 10:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Currently the way to do this is to add your own custom field(s) and then implement the interoperation. The description on how to add an attribute presentaiton is here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ContributingAttributePresentations

To communicate between the fields, you can use

dojo.publish("event name", parms);
and
dojo.subscribe("event name", context, function);

so when one field changes the other can be notified.

Hope this helps. Ask again if you need more info.

Larry Smith
Jazz/RTC Work Item Web UI

As I know, I can create a new field or edit the existing fields in a template, such as Agile Process. Now I want to do this thing: when I choose a value 'A' in field1, I hope some content is changed in the field2. If I choose the value 'B', the content of the field2 could do corresponding changes as well. May I achieve this effect by customizing the template file?

permanent link
Lawrence Smith (3764) | answered Nov 11 '08, 10:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
... that was for the Web UI. For Eclipse you could also do it but the mechanism would be different.

permanent link
Rui Shen (51103) | answered Nov 16 '08, 10:40 p.m.
Thanks, in general, I know the possibilities now, but it really needs some additional efforts, :). Anyway, thank you. I will disturb you if I am going to fulfill it, :).

... that was for the Web UI. For Eclipse you could also do it but the mechanism would be different.

permanent link
Gary Mullen-Schultz (28725536) | answered Feb 16 '09, 10:51 a.m.
Sorry to be dense, but would this allow me to have custom user interfaces for different types of work items? So, for example, when a user indicates the WI is a defect he is shown a certain set of attributes, but if he had chosen an enhancement a different set?

And am I correct in reading that I'd have to more or less write two sets of code to do this? One for the web UI, and one for the Eclipse UI?

Thanks, Gary

permanent link
Lawrence Smith (3764) | answered Feb 16 '09, 11:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes you can have completely different layouts for different types of work items, where each type can present different attributes. The presentation for each type is defined in the Process Configuration using the admin UI (in Eclipse). Changing the type will change the layout. The same spec is used for both clients, although the way things are rendered is a bit different for each.

There are a number of built-in presentations for attributes that work for both the Web UI and the Eclipse UI (e.g., Enumeration, String, Date), but yes if you add your own custom presentation you will need to do that for both clients, unless you only need the customization in one client or the other.

Hope this helps,

Larry Smith
IBM Jazz RTC Work Item Web UI developer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Mar 09 '09, 2:00 p.m.
I thought I had appended to this but here goes...

Can the behavior aspect be implemented ignoring the presentation aspect ? We have
a set of attributes that are already presented adequately. We'd just like to augment
the behavoir.

Yes you can have completely different layouts for different types of work items, where each type can present different attributes. The presentation for each type is defined in the Process Configuration using the admin UI (in Eclipse). Changing the type will change the layout. The same spec is used for both clients, although the way things are rendered is a bit different for each.

There are a number of built-in presentations for attributes that work for both the Web UI and the Eclipse UI (e.g., Enumeration, String, Date), but yes if you add your own custom presentation you will need to do that for both clients, unless you only need the customization in one client or the other.

Hope this helps,

Larry Smith
IBM Jazz RTC Work Item Web UI developer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.