It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a limit to links?

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Jan 25 '13, 9:39 a.m.
We did an import of code from SVN (using RTC import from SVN) and am working on delivering it.  We are hitting an issue where we are unable to show the Links tab.

We require a work item for each change to deliver, and so we associated all changes (so 50,000 or so revisions from SVN).  The work item can be opened but if you click on the Links tab, it basically hangs the eclipse client and  we have to kill it.

Is there any way around this other than unassociating some of these and breaking them into multiple work items for delivery??

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 25 '13, 10:30 a.m.
I do not have an answer to this, but 50,000 links is sure to cause some data buffer problems, not to mention cpu loops. I don't think link lists are paged so rtc would try to send them all at once from server to client.

I do have an unrelated questions, relative to the dual svn/rtc source repository mgmt.

I assume the svn developers build directly from SVN, until such time as  you decide to import/checkin to RTC.
do you then have a SECOND build implementation using RTC as the source? do you also run test after the RTC build?  do you (and if so how) verify the result is the same as built from SVN?
is the RTC build record the accepted content traceability record?

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jan 25 '13, 10:43 a.m.

so we are trying not to have dual svn/rtc.  What has happened is we are going to basically turn off our SVN and bugzilla machines.  So all code and bugs are being migrated/imported into RTC.  We stop work for a week on a specific stream, import it all in, generate a build and then once the team is "happy", nobody does any work back in SVN anymore.

I can't talk to the build implementation in detail.  My understanding is they did a build engine that uses their existing build scripts.  The build engineer did some compares but I don't believe he did a detailed test on the binary itself.  He ran command to generate md5 records for all files exported from SVN.  Use the records as input to compare with the files, which just imported, loaded from RTC.  there were few files different based on the comparison, then he diff'd them.

sam detweiler commented Jan 25 '13, 11:07 a.m.

thank you.. so the strategy is to migrate to RTC as the single platform.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.