It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query related to RTC Roles and permissions

Amit Garg (312051) | asked Jan 24 '13, 5:07 a.m.

We are trying to assign "Prevent Editing" operation behavior for a particular Role (for example Team Member). When a user is assigned a Team Member role only, the precondition works perfectly fine.

However, if any user is assigned a role besides a Team Member (say Scrum Master), we expect the permissions of Scrum Master to override the Team Member permissions which is not the case. The user is not able to edit even though they have a Scrum Master role because of the Prevent Editing condition for a Team Member.

Is there any option to not allow a user with specific role to edit a particular workitem? (which should be overriden incase of a higher role is assigned).We tried to work around permissions but modify attributes provide the flexibility to user modify a workitem.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 24 '13, 5:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Amit,

you are mixing two concepts, Permissions and Operational Behavior up which are behaving differently.

Please consider reading https://jazz.net/library/article/292 and https://jazz.net/library/article/291 to better understand how that works.

Permissions are cumulative. Operational behavior work on order of role and first found.

In you example, the Scrum Master should be the Role on the top and you would have to configure the operational behavior for that role and operation, removing the Prevent Editing Operation. from the configuration of the primary role.
Amit Garg selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Amit Garg commented Jan 24 '13, 5:43 a.m.

Hello Ralph

Thank you for your reply

In our case, Scrum master role is on the top and there are no preconditions defined for this role. The team member only has "prevent editing" precondition set.

Our concern is if theĀ user has both roles assigned to him, then the precondition for team member i.e. prevent editing dominates. Is there a way to allow a high priority role i.e. Scrum master to dominate preconditions?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 24 '13, 6:07 a.m. | edited Jan 24 '13, 8:48 a.m.

If there are no preconditions for work item save, I think you have to check Preconditions and follow-up actions are configured for the Scrum Master Role. That means it is configured, but the operational behavior is actually not configured. Thus it would find it for the highest priority role first, find it empty, and then would not look into additional roles anymore.

The priority role is dominating, however you have to understand how to do that. So I really, really strongly suggest to read the articles in my post above.

Amit Garg commented Jan 24 '13, 8:32 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. The articles were really useful. The solution worked for us.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 24 '13, 8:48 a.m.

Hi Amit, please consider to accept the answer then.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.