It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why can I not see the Report Design Perspective after Installing BIRT?

Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | asked Jan 15 '13, 5:47 a.m.
Hello,

I have RTC 3.0.1.1 server and client and I have installed the correct reporting components for BIRT from the Galileo repository according to this document.  After restarting RTC I cannot see the "Report Design" perspective from the list and I do not have the "Show All" option.

According to this thread, the plugins should be installed into the RTC shared directory (in this case C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\IBMIMShared\plugins) but instead they are installed into the C:\Users\<user>\.eclipse\ibm.rational.team.concert.client_7.5.0_165751254\plugins folder.  The BIRT Framework component appears under the Installed Software details.

What am I doing wrong?  The RTC 3.0.1.1 client is a fresh install (installed onto Windows 7 with admin privileges) and the only thing I have done is installed BIRT.  It is not RTC Express or Express-C as mentioned in this thread.  I have followed this exact procedure on other machines and I have no issues.

Please help!

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jan 15 '13, 6:13 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
From the document you used to find the correct plugins, were you also careful to start Eclipse with "Run As Administrator" as it suggests? As it points out, being logged in as someone with Admin privs is not enough. 

I have had enough issues with installing plugins (including BIRT, using those same instructions) that I no longer install my RTC client in \Program Files, ever. If you have done everything else correctly, I'm as certain as I can be that Windows security is keeping this from working.
Andrew Trobec selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Jan 16 '13, 8:24 a.m.

Thanks Millard!  I'll take your advice about installing into the Program Files folder!

Best regards,

Andrew

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.