It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

No Actual Start and End date in RQM 4.0.1 for milestones

Rajat Singh (59833545) | asked Dec 09 '12, 12:54 a.m.

Hi

As in RQM v3.0.1, I do not find the option to add actual start and end date for a milestone.
I however can add the planned dates for 'Manage Timelines' by creating an iteration.

Is there any change in the way tool works in this new version?

Thanks & Regards
Rajat

5 answers

permanent link
Sachin Patel (10123) | answered Jan 02 '13, 1:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Please refer to the article https://jazz.net/library/article/810/ which discussions the concept of actual/planned dates in relation to iterations.

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Dec 09 '12, 11:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Timelines has moved to project area administration page in 4.0. You can define it for the whole project and use same timelines across the test plans in same project. And yes you can provide start and end date to it

Comments
Rajat Singh commented Dec 10 '12, 1:48 a.m.

Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I aware of Managing the Timelines in the administration page.

What I am basically looking for is to see the layout of the schedules(iterations) as it was in v3.0.1

In 4.0.1, I just see the planned start date and planned end date.
What happened to the 'Actual Start Date and Actual End date'?

Is this managed differently in RQM 4.0.1?

Thanks & Regards
Rajat

permanent link
Eric Solomon (911) | answered Dec 10 '12, 2:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Rajat - Yes, this changed in 4.0  There's an article that might answer some of your questions - https://jazz.net/library/article/810.

Comments
Diane Everitt commented Dec 14 '12, 1:50 p.m.

Therefore, when a customer migrates from 3.0.1 to 4.0.1, the Actual Start Dates and Actual End Dates they have in 3.0.1 are lost (i.e., they are not migrated to 4.0.1)?

Thank you,
Diane

permanent link
Eric Solomon (911) | answered Jan 02 '13, 5:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is also explained to some extent here - http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_track_schedule.html.

See Step 5. But I'm not sure what actually happens to the dates in the migration scenario.

permanent link
Sachin Patel (10123) | answered Jan 03 '13, 7:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 03 '13, 7:26 a.m.
 The actual dates and planned dates are not lost migrating to 4.0.1.  As the article states, from the snippet below, the dates in the iteration structure (which is also displayed as-is) within the test plan schedule section represent the actual dates.  The planned dates remain intact in the test schedules section as well in its own column.  

When the schedule table is populated, something subtle occurs that is important to take note of. When you create a new iteration in the timeline editor, the start and end date provided typically represent the "planned dates" at that moment in time. As time moves forward and as schedules change, updates made to these dates become more accurate and reflective of the "actual dates". Both "planned dates" and "actual dates" existed in prior releases of QM and we still carry these concepts forward with our use of iterations. At the time when the schedule table is populated the planned start/end date is automatically set to the start/end dates of the iteration at that point in time. The values for these planned dates maintain their original value even if the dates in the iteration are modified. The dates of the iteration in the test plan schedule table however will always reflect the start and end dates as defined in the timeline. The planned dates in the test schedule table are always editable for corrections if the initialized date(s) are empty or incorrect. 

From a migration perspective, for each milestone in 3.0, we create an iteration for it.  First and foremost, the dates used for the iteration are the actual dates in the 3.0 milestone.  If the actual dates are not supplied, then we use the planned dates for the iteration.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.