It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0 Public read access to project area - then why do I need to be a member of the project to see translators?

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Dec 06 '12, 9:51 a.m.
I have all the enterprise extension elements defined under a "central" RTC project area and have "Access Control" as "Everyone - all can read". In  a separate RTC project area I have  created a build definition with properties of type "translator" defined and set initially to a specific translator. A developer requesting a build wants to edit the property to point to a different translator before submitting. The problem is that the translator the developer wants does not show up in the list of available translators for selection. I had to add the developer as a member of the "central" project in order for him to see the desired translator as a selection on a build request. Why?

3 answers

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Dec 06 '12, 10:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Donald
What we recommend is that System Definitions be created and owned by a central 'Build Admin' type group. These definitions along with the build definitions are created in a Project Area owned by this team. Sounds like this is exactly what you have got going here which is great. 
To be able to have visibility to a Project Area you need to be a member of that project area. And in your particular case, to be able to see the Translator you want to chose, you need to be a member in some fashion to the Project Area containing the Translator.
What we recommend is that developers are added to the Project Area and given a role that allows then read access only.

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Dec 06 '12, 4:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If your project area Foo is configured with Access Control granted to Everyone, you shouldn't have to add yourself as a member to see anything. I think we should continue this discussion in a workitem, because the behavior sounds like some kind of defect. Can you please open a workitem (with as much detail as you can muster) and subscribe me?

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Dec 06 '12, 4:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Donald
I've been talking with Jared off line and if what he tells me is true then it looks like we indeed do have a defect that we need to look into. I'm betting that we coded our checks for access before this new access control came into being and are not honoring this new access checking method.

Open the defect under enterprise extensions, subscribe Jared and we will look into it.

Guy

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.