It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it/will it ever be possible, to simply link a CQ defect into an RTC plan, and be able to see its status

Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | asked Dec 03 '12, 10:59 a.m.
I would have thought someone would have asked this question before, but I couldn't find anything on Jazz.net. 

My use case is this:

I know that right now, with the OSLC based RTC/CQ bridge, I can link workitems in RTC to defects in ClearQuest, which is useful, but is limited, because very little of the CQ data can actually be seen in RTC (id and headline).  What I would like to do is be able to go into a plan, select an "Add Defect from OSLC Provider" function, select my OSLC CQ defect provider, and then either create or select a CQ defect (much like you can now when linking to an existing workitem) and then save.  This would link the CQ defect to the plan itself as an item to be completed within the iteration (or one of the sub-iterations) described by the plan.

Some additional features that would be necessary to support this functionality would be:
1. A configuration that would allow you to indicate a "similar" RTC workitem type to the CQ Defect state, like the RTC defect.  This would also implicitly determine whether the linked item type were a "plan" or "execution" item.  I can see reasons why either might be useful.
2. A way to map the CQ defect's state field's values, to the states of the "similar" RTC workitem type.  (the Resolution attribute would simply default to a value, but could be modified in RTC if need be)
3. Much like is currently available, hovering over the item in the plan would bring up the details of the CQ record.
4. A "plan" backlink would exist on the CQ side which would display the iteration name, and would link to the web plan.
5. Dashboard widgets/reports would treat the linked CQ record as if it were one of the "similar" workitem types.

Is anything like this planned?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Yuhong Yin (25123) | answered Dec 04 '12, 12:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Chris

Your post touched a few good points.

True for the data reporting/tracing limitations on the OSLC-based bridge you mentioned - and it is a high priority for us to provide better OOTB cross-product reporting capabilities.

And yes, we do have plan to provide the "task sourcing" type feature you are requesting.

See this enhancement against RTC "planning" and feel free to provide your use case and ideas !
As CQ-RTC (OSLC-based) bridge user, I want to link CQ records directly to the RTC project plan instead of an indirect link thru work item which reduces significant overhead in organizing the content for project planning on ClearQuest information. (243477)

Thanks

- Yuhong

Yuhong Yin
Development Manager
ClearCase/RTC, ClearQuest/RTC Connectors & Integrations
IBM Software, Rational
Email: yyin@us.ibm.com
Chris Ratcliffe selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Chris Ratcliffe commented Dec 04 '12, 1:04 p.m.

Thank you.  I have updated the Enhancement request with my comments.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.