It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Default work days for a new user seem strange

Adrian Spender (36143) | asked Oct 24 '08, 7:58 p.m.
On RTC 1.0 I have one project using the Scrum template which we've been actively using for 12 weeks.

I've today been creating another project, based on the Scrum template but with some process customizations. When adding a couple of users today I noticed that there was something strange with their Work Day details in their user profile. Namely, the default for a new user was:

Monday - no work
Tue-Sat - 8h finish 5pm
Sun - no work

The time zone is Europe/Dublin and the regional settings English(Ireland)

I've not modified anything under Project Configuration -> Configuration data -> Iteration Plans -> Work Environment which is the only place I see any process template stuff related to the working environment.

Going back to my original non-customized Scrum project I was amazed to see that all the users in there are also not down as working a normal Mon-Fri working week and working Saturday. Whilst I find it hard to believe I've not noticed this before, my suspicion is it must always have been that way and that my eyes just say five consecutive days of allocated time and never factored in the actual named days!

Has anybody ever seen this or know why it would be so? Does RTC differ the working days based on locale/region (e.g. for some Islamic countries) if so is there a bug in English(Ireland) ?

3 answers

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Oct 27 '08, 5:35 a.m.
I've today been creating another project, based on the Scrum template
but with some process customizations. When adding a couple of users
today I noticed that there was something strange with their Work Day
details in their user profile. Namely, the default for a new user
was:

Monday - no work
Tue-Sat - 8h finish 5pm
Sun - no work

The time zone is Europe/Dublin and the regional settings
English(Ireland)

I'm currently not able to reproduce this issue on my computer. There's
locale-aware code used when setting up the work environment. What VM do
you use?

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Oct 27 '08, 11:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Going back to my original non-customized Scrum project I was amazed to see that all the users in there are also not down as working a normal Mon-Fri working week and working Saturday. Whilst I find it hard to believe I've not noticed this before, my suspicion is it must always have been that way and that my eyes just say five consecutive days of allocated time and never factored in the actual named days!

Has anybody ever seen this or know why it would be so?

Not only have I seen this, but after laboriously fixing it for all the users in the system, I've seen it revert back. It seems to have stuck (after moving up to the GA code), but it has been, at times, a challenging aspect of using RTC.

It's a bit surprising you didn't notice this earlier as it really messes up your iteration plans since the progress/load bars expect no work on Mondays, but do expect work on Saturdays -- you always look behind on Monday because not many folks worked on Saturday. That's how we first noticed it -- the burndown always seemed off. Haven't added a new user in a while, but I always double check the Work Assignment tab when I do.

permanent link
Maren Nelson (611611) | answered Oct 27 '08, 3:30 p.m.
I also saw this behavior a few months back when we installed RTC 1.0... and had to do the same manual steps to resolve. It seems to be sticking correctly now.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.