It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SCM or ALM or ?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | asked Nov 18 '12, 7:49 p.m.
 Hi All

I am asked to setup an enterprise SCM services in the organization, and I am starting with the strategy document. So basically it's about what we need to do and how we are going to do it. The first question I have is: what shall we call it today, SCM or ALM or what?

Thanks
Jirong

One answer

permanent link
Fariz Saracevic (904613) | answered Nov 18 '12, 10:09 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Jirong, it all depends how wide you want/need to go with the strategy document. Software Change Management is one of the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) capabilities and usually, strategy documents are a broader in its content. They provide vision where an enterprise should aim for from multiple ALM aspects and then you outline guidance broken down in number of phases.

Hence, I suggest to write an ALM strategy document with enterprise SCM services as phase 1.

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Nov 20 '12, 8:52 p.m.

What are the necessary processes need to be implemented in SCM? I have the followings in mind:

1. Source Code Version Control
2. Change Control
3. Build and Deployment Automation
4. Code Promotion
5. Release Management

A couple of questions:

1. For item 1, many call it Configuration Management. But the overall is called SCM already, so I just want to make it clear.

2. Change Control I am referring to change request or enhancement request control.

3. Code Promotion I mean promoting from DEV to SIT to UAT. So what shall I put in the Release Management process?

Is there a better list of main processes to describe SCM?

Thanks
Jirong

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.