It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CQ as a defect provider to RTC

ed Neubecker (15322747) | asked Oct 27 '12, 10:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Jan 03 '13, 10:32 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)

It seems that we can make CQ a defect provider for RQM, but not for RTC. When I have RQM as part of the CLM project I want to also make CQ a defect provider to the RTC project that is part of this CLM integrated project area. I am confused by what is in the infocenter to help me understand if this is even possible. The CQ-RQM integration section does a nice job to explain how CQ can be a defect provider to RQM. The RTC-CQ integration section talks about "Change providers" and not a "defect provider". If a project is using CQ as it's primary defect management engine, how do we pull those defect records into a RTC project area to use them for planning and other purposes? Is it just a "change provider" in RTC as opposed to a "defect provider" from RQM? Here are the references that I have read : CQ as a defect provider for RQM: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_defect_cq.html

CQ as a change provider to RTC: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.rcm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_configuring_cq_bridge.html

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 29 '12, 6:46 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC and RQM are the same in this regard, in that when someone wants to associate a ClearQuest record with some existing artifact, both RQM and RTC will let you do so (and the dialog box will ask you whether to select an existing record, or create a new one).  The only difference is the name of the relationship that you use.   With some coding, you can introduce your own custom link types (there are other threads on that topic in this forum).   Also there is work item 
Ability to Customize the OSLC Link Types (217250) requesting the ability to modify the names of default link types, and introduce new link types without coding.
ed Neubecker selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Oct 28 '12, 7:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

the ClearQuest Bridge to RTC offers an integration that lets you create ClearQuest records from RTC or link RTC work items to existing ClearQuest records as well as the other way around.

The ClearQuest Bridge when used with RQM allows you to create / link ClearQuest records (e.g. of type Defect, which is what RQM is mostly concerned with) instead of RTC or additionally to RTC work items.

It makes sense when you think of RQM and RTC as modules in the Jazz architecture. RTC is the module that has work items (e.g. defects). So it would have work items whether you bridge it to ClearQuest or not.
RQM uses the work items provided by the Jazz architecture. Alternatively you can switch it to another OSLC prodiver such as ClearQuest.

If you want to use both records from ClearQuest and work items from RTC, you can use the RTC planning capabilities for both. This involves regarding ClearQuest as a source of bigger Change Request, breaking them down into smaller tasks which are either linked to RTC work items or which already are RTC work items. You can only use RTC plan views to show RTC work items.
On the dashboard however you can display widgets that directly show ClearQuest queries as well.

Does this information clarify things? In case it does, please mark the answer as accepted.

- Arne

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.