It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I define a work item template that allows the instatiator to set attribute values?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Oct 25 '12, 4:16 a.m.
Good Morning,

When creating a work item template that allows me to create a string of linked work items I would like to be able to allow the creator to change the values of some of the attributes.

During the wizard for creating the template I can only select "Planned For" and "Filed Against" as variables that should be set individually for each template instantiation.

How can I add attributes such as the Description, Owner, and custom attributes to the template to allow them to be defined at template instantiation?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Nov 08 '12, 8:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, Andrew! 
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I thought I was going to be cool and get this to work based on this article: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/WorkItemTemplates

And I got close. I exported a template that I created and then opened the XML file for it. I found an owner reference and changed it to look like:
	<rtc_cm:ownedBy rdf:resource="${ownedBy:Contributor}"/>
Saved it and imported it back into my project area. I tried to create work items from the template and even got a section that looked like it would let me choose an owner, but got an error when I tried to use it.

So it seems the wiki article is correct (and current) in that only Planned For and Filed Against are supported at this time. If you feel strongly about this feature, please look to see if there is an existing Enhancement request to upvote or write one of your own.

Andrew Trobec selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Nov 08 '12, 8:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That bit of xml I dropped in didn't come out quite write, but I'm sure you can see where I was headed.

Also, while it is a poor substitute for what you would like to do, at least in the Eclipse client, the items created from the import are shown in the Work Items table. You can easily select them all and assign an owner from there. 

Andrew Trobec commented Nov 09 '12, 2:12 a.m.

Hello Millard,

Thank you for the attempt.  I think it would be a very useful function to be able to specify which values you would like to assign when creating work item relationships from a template, especially for child work items.

If I have time I will take a look at the enhancement requests to see whether I am able to find anything to upvote.

Best regards,

Andrew

One other answer

permanent link
Isabel Murakami (3811615) | answered Aug 20 '15, 10:54 a.m.
Hello Andrew
This Enhancement https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=366292
was opened to add this functionality.
Please, add your comments on it.
Thanks !
Isabel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.