It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Including defects in team velocity

Goncalo Soares (13125) | asked Oct 23 '12, 4:32 a.m.
 Hello all,

I am managing a software development team using SCRUM and RTC version 3.0.1. 
We are using Epics, Stories and estimate using story points. I would like to use the Defect artifact for the defects reported. I've realized that defects are by default estimated in hours so I added the story points field to the artifact.
The issue here is that when we solve a defect, if we use the defect artifact, it doesn't add the points to the velocity (despite being the same story point field used in stories). 
How can I make the story points from the defect artifacts count in the velocity report?

Thank you so much,
Best Regards,
Goncalo Soares

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Oct 23 '12, 9:54 a.m.
change the defect to a planning item type in the project process config.. then it looks like Story
(and u have to have tasks for hours spent)..

Open Project,-> process config tab, project config->config data ->planning-> work item type categorization, check the box in front of defect.

defect is now a workitem used in Planning operations..

>and has story points, but not time spent.
but this didn't change as I expected it to.  this is on 4.0.. is this a bug?
Goncalo Soares selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Goncalo Soares commented Oct 24 '12, 5:26 a.m.

Thank you for the answer! It is working great now. The defect still has hours but we chose to solely use Story Points!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.