It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I create a universal workitem template

haizi wu (6054248) | asked Oct 19 '12, 3:16 a.m.
 I have read the article from https://jazz.net/library/article/555, It says that the workitem template can used for create a lot of workitem that have a structure relationship, so I think the work breakdown structure is  very useful for some senarios, sometimes we need the tasks automatically generated when the requirement is created,  for example, there is a requirement, then I need several tasks,  first one is for analysing. second one is for developing,  third one is for testing, and maybe another task for desgining etc. I like the tasks generated like this way for every requirement,  not like the 'Add plug-in to JCB build' case, is it possible?

One answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Oct 19 '12, 3:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I believe you want to be able to
   select creation of Requirement and
some set of workitems with specific hierarchy like below should get created automatically:
  Requirement WI
  -  Analysis Task WI
  -  Designing Task WI
  -  Development Task WI
  -  Testing Task WI
  -  Misc Task WI

If this is the case, the article 555 does cover how you create a template for this and how you instantiate it.

Prereq is to create the sample workitems set, which shall be used for creation of the template.
Say,
   Req 01 (Requirement Type WI)
Adding Task WI Type children to Req WI 01
  -  Analysis 01(Task WI Type)
  -  Designing 01(Task WI Type)
  -  Development 01(Task WI Type)
  -  Testing 01(Task WI Type)
  -  Misc 01(Task WI Type)

After this sample set is ready,  search for Req 01 workitem in eclipse client. 
Req 01 will show up in the Workitems view. 
Use Right click menu shows the "Create Work Item Template..." option to create the template

Now, you can access/use this template from
Web UI > Workitems > Create Work Item Set > Create from Template... option.
Eclipse UI > Project Area Node > Workitems Node > Right Click New > Work Items from Template...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.