It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC v4.0 Predefined Template for Requirements Import

Kyle Dodge (5268) | asked Oct 11 '12, 10:38 p.m.
Hello,

I'm in the process of evaluating RRC v4.0 for use over ReqPro, which is our current requirements repository.  The problem is that I am having difficulty importing the requirements from a MS Word document that was created in ReqPro.  The requirements from ReqPro contain headers, sub-headers, and multiple tables - in some cases tables within tables. 

I've been trying to find an example template to help define how RRC recognizes the formatting in a word document for import into RRC.  Likewise, I am also looking for an example template on how to use Excel CSV files for import.  I tried to import a CSV file earlier, but the import was unsuccessful.  Are there predefined templates that can be provided as example documents for requirement import into RRC?  This would be extremely helpful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I appreciate any time you can provide to this matter.

Kyle

One answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Oct 11 '12, 10:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kyle,

I have two suggestions just to start off with, but can certainly try to answer questions if you still want to go the document import route.

1)  It sounds like you're trying to import requirements from an existing ReqPro requirements document.  Did you know you migrate an entire ReqPro project in to RRC by uploading a ReqPro project baseline to a new RRC project?  It sounds like this might be easier since the documents are copied over and converted to RRC documents with links to migrated requirements.

2)  For the CSV example you're looking for, this topic suggests the following, as well as some other tips for using the CSV functionality.

The easiest way to build a correctly formed CSV file for import is to use the export function on a view that contains columns that corresponds to the content to be imported. If you do this, the exported file will contain some unsupported system-maintained fields; however, these fields are ignored if they are included in an import operation.

Hope it helps,

Comments
Kyle Dodge commented Oct 15 '12, 8:52 p.m.

Hi Ben,

I appreciate the info and feel that the information pertaining to the CSV format will be very helpful. 

Regarding the migration of the ReqPro project, I don't think that will be possible.  the project I am on is just looking for a demonstration.  The goal was to take a small use case document and import it into RRC to show how the requirements can be linked to test cases in RQM.  The problem is that the people setting up RRC for the demo are having extreme difficulty importing the requirements.  Some of the issues are:

1) Images are broken apart and saved as multiple different images.  For example, an image in word with a shape added to it (like an arrow to draw emphasis to a certain point in the picture) is broken down into two separate images and it throws the formatting of the document off.  There are no issues with this type of image in ReqPro
2) When using the importer to create individual requirements, tables in the document are not created as a requirement.  Only headers of the table.

Any information you can provide for the document import route will be appreciated.

Dean Richardson commented Oct 25 '12, 9:43 a.m.

Yep, RRC Imports have a ways to go. XML imports are only slightly more frustrating. Using OSLC and the java examples are far from easy to ramp up on. But some where out there, there is a better way. I just have not found it yet myself. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.