It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing from ClearCase into RTC: "Node'xxx' can not be selected" error when selecting files to be imported

Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | asked Oct 10 '12, 8:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 10 '12, 8:48 a.m.
I'm trying to import files and folders from base ClearCase (no UCM) into RTC using the eclipse client import wizard. When I try to select the elements to be imported, I get the error message
Node'xxx' can not be selected
Cannot find a configuration for the selected resource. 
Please select a resource within VOB or sub-VOB component

When I do the same in other VOBs, it works well (so in principle I'm doing the right things).

In the "Browse For Files To Synchonize" windows, the VOBs which are working have grey (Component: <VOB name>) behind the VOB name in the browse box like shown in the attachment: Screenshot
The exception stack does not help much:
javax.wvcm.WvcmException: Cannot find a configuration for the selected resource. Please select a resource within VOB or sub-VOB component
    at com.ibm.team.connector.scm.cc.ide.ui.wizards.importwizard.RootPathBrowserDialog$PathBrowserInfo.fetchConfigProperty(RootPathBrowserDialog.java:436)
    at com.ibm.team.connector.scm.cc.ide.ui.wizards.importwizard.RootPathBrowserDialog$PathBrowserLabelProvider$1.run(RootPathBrowserDialog.java:973)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)

Comments
Simon Eickel commented Oct 17 '12, 2:56 a.m. | edited Oct 17 '12, 9:11 a.m.

Strange thing on this - some VOBs which had the Component standing there before have now no Components ...

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 11 '12, 12:34 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 12 '12, 11:07 a.m.
When you expand that top level folder in the Browse pane, what do you see?

One way this can occur is if a VOB is a multi-component UCM VOB, where the components live one level down in the directory hierarchy.   You can select the component root directory, but you cannot select the root directory of the VOB, because that directory is not in any component.

You would also get this behavior in a non-UCM VOB, if you have used the new "sub-vob component" functionality in RTC-4.0 (that functionality lets you declare that user-selected sub-directories in the VOB should be considered components, rather than the root directory of the VOB).  To see whether someone has created sub-vob components in that VOB, check whether the attribute type com.ibm.rational.interop.ClearCase.subVOB_Component is declared in that VOB.

If neither is the case, please contact Rational Support or submit a work item on jazz.net, so they can investigate why you are seeing this behavior.

Comments
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross commented Oct 12 '12, 3:31 a.m. | edited Oct 12 '12, 11:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

When I expand the top level folder, I can see the sub-folders - in all VOBs, independend if the 'work' or not.
But when I select the top level or any sub-folder, I get the error described.
The VOBs are no UCM VOBs.

Simon Eickel commented Oct 18 '12, 4:44 a.m. | edited Oct 18 '12, 9:16 a.m.

Hi Geoff,

one question to your remark:
"You would also get this behavior in a non-UCM VOB, if you have used the new "sub-vob component" functionality in RTC-4.0 (that functionality lets you declare that user-selected sub-directories in the VOB should be considered components, rather than the root directory of the VOB). "

Does this mean, that synchronization with a VOB which is marked for "sub-vob component" is not possible or just that the section (Component=<name>) should be present at the folder / file marked with this attribute?
So that synchronization is just possible from this sub dir?

Greetings,
Simon

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 18 '12, 9:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The latter ... i.e. you can select the root directory of the sub-vob component, or any file/folder under it.   In general, you can only synchronize a ClearCase file/folder that is "in" a component, where a ClearCase component is either a UCM component, the entire VOB (for non-UCM), or a sub-VOB component (for non-UCM).   So using the Browse wizard, in a VOB with sub-vob components, you would open up folders until you reach the sub-vob component root directory, where you would then see the "component" annotation on that directory.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.