It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error creating work item set from template xxxx. The work items were not created. Details: CRJAZ1316I Illegal read access: User "xxxxx" attempted to read item(s) having the following type(s): WorkItem

Rajiv Menon (1111) | asked Sep 28 '12, 2:51 p.m.
 Hi,

I am trying to create a work item from the workitem template and I am getting the following error.
"Error creating work item set from template xxxx. The work items were not created. Details: CRJAZ1316I Illegal read access: User "xxxxx" attempted to read item(s) having the following type(s): WorkItem"

1. When I try to change the user repository permission to "Jazz Admin", he is able to create the work items from the template.
2. I tried changing the access control to "everyone" and it did not worked
3. I tried changing the access control to "Members of the project area hierarchy and users in the access list" and added the user in access list, still it did not worked.

Can anyone suggest a suitable work around for this or am i doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Rajiv

2 answers

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Sep 28 '12, 5:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is the template attempting to create a work item in a category that has a more stringent read access than the project area itself?

To determine this, first determine what category the "Filed Against" is for the work item being created. Then, open the project area in the RTC Eclipse client. Go to the Work Item Categories tab. The categories are listed on the left. Is the checkbox next to the category checked?

If so, everyone should be able to see it and this is not the cause of the error. If not, the user creating the work item from the template must be a member of the team that the category is associated with to be able to see  the work item.

Ruby

Martha (Ruby) Andrews
Jazz L3 Developer

Comments
Rajiv Menon commented Oct 01 '12, 1:55 p.m.

Thanks Martha Andrews for your help. 

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k2137147) | answered Dec 01 '12, 8:26 a.m.
I had the same issue with changing a Filed Against value - on save wouldn't let you save with the read access error saying I didn't have permissions - even though I have every possible permission at Project and Team levels.

In our scenario, we have the work item categories associated with a specific team and also further restricted to that team. 

Turns out the value in question that I was trying to change to, was somehow corrupted (it was working yesterday and not today) scenario.

I had to in this particular case relabel the work item cateogry that was causing the issue, and create a net new on with the original value.  This fix my problem ....

Incidentially, when looking for work items with the offending work item category, all queries return no entries - they only showed up again after I relabelled the category.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.