It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0 zOS after zimport of a couple of members as binary how do I change them to be EBCDIC?

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Sep 24 '12, 5:53 a.m.

When I zimported a couple of files to a new workspace – using the binary param, they now show up as garbage (using eclipse client).  How do I change the encoding to ebcdic?  The properties tab does not allow me to change from UTF-8?

As a general question when you have a few COBOL programs that have some "INSPECT" and "REPLACE BY" statements that contain "binary" type characters what is the best way to handle under RTC. With products like SCLM or Endevor those "mixed type" COBOL programs are handled fine but with RTC if I bring them in a as binary I can't edit them and if I don't bring them in as binary I end up with problem during builds - problems like record length exceeds 80 characters  due to converting single "binary" character into 2 characters.

Comments
John Riendeau commented Sep 24 '12, 8:23 a.m. | edited Sep 24 '12, 8:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Why can't you change the encoding from UTF-8 on the file's properties page? What happens when you try to do so?

Donald Poulin commented Sep 24 '12, 8:31 a.m.

Under the eclipse client after the member(s) are zimported in and you do a properties from the Resource perspective - there are no "active" options to allow you to alter from UTF-8.

John Riendeau commented Sep 24 '12, 8:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is for me. On the 'Resources' tab of the properties page, do you see a "Text file encoding" section, towards the bottom?

One answer

permanent link
John Riendeau (46626) | answered Sep 24 '12, 8:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 24 '12, 8:56 a.m.
I believe there actually is a way to get the Eclipse editor to treat these files as EBCDIC (we can work through this in the comments above).  However, even once you get Eclipse to interpret the contents as EBCDIC, it probably still won't be what you want, since the file won't have line breaks in it (recall that this was imported from a record-length-based member in the MVS filesystem, where linebreaks don't exist).  The standard Eclipse editors certainly won't like that.

The current recommendation for files like this, that contain special characters that cannot be converted, is to import as binary and work with them via the ISPF client.

Comments
Donald Poulin commented Sep 24 '12, 9:05 a.m.

This customer has only a few of these members and is using RTC/RDz - with no intention of setting up an ISPF client environment just to handle a few members. So can you elaborate on how one would use RDz with RTC to handle this situation. Also one recommendation was to alter the source program to declare the special characters as he values - like - x'F6' -- any comments on that approach?

John Riendeau commented Sep 24 '12, 9:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not aware of any RDz functionality that would help to handle this.

I don't understand what you mean by "delcaring" special characters as hex values. Can you elaborate?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.