It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Version Control for process templates and project areas

Vitor Batista (1177) | asked Sep 17 '12, 10:16 a.m.
Hi,

Is there any guidance on how can I work with process customization controlling versions of process templates? Should I control the files exported in RTC SCM or is there a simple way to do this?

Another question: After modify a process template, How can I deploy the changes to project areas that use this template?

Thanks,
Vitor.

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 17 '12, 10:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Vitor,

the second question: if you update a template these changes will only apply to project areas created from the new template version. If you want to only maintain a few central process configurations, process sharing is the way to go. See https://jazz.net/library/article/1005 , https://jazz.net/library/article/1008 , https://jazz.net/library/article/621 .

I don't think there is any guidance on version controlling the templates. RTC SCM would work, but treat it as a binary file.

Comments
Vitor Batista commented Sep 17 '12, 12:04 p.m.

Seems interesting. A couple of questinos: - When I save changes in shared process, the consumer projects are automatically updated or I can choose which projects should be updated? - If I use this strategy, how can I do branches on customization?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 17 '12, 12:29 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
All sharing projects are automatically updated.

But you can create a new project area from your template. Then you update the new project area. Then it can share. Then you can notify the projects to change to the new project area at convenience. This allows a more controlled process.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Sep 17 '12, 1:18 p.m.
edited Sep 17 '12, 1:20 p.m.
Base on our experience you cannot today do any recording or versioning of process templates.

there is an enhancement request for this in the database someplace. (make the process template a 1st class object).

also all consumers get the new template, there is no branching support..

now.. one warning.. if you do NOT set the process templates sections as final (checkbox for each section), then children processes ARE allowed to change that section..
IF they change that section AT ALL, then it is COPIED from the master and the child will use the copy from then on FOREVER for THAT SECTION. (sections are like Enums, presentations, workflows, ...)

currently you CAN see the changes made to the process configuration by looking at its history
(view the source, right mouse button click, select Show History).
but you cannot save this delta and re-apply it, nor back out to a previous level. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.