It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use a parameter to dynamically change unit on x-axis

Matthias Buettgen (23612332) | asked Aug 21 '12, 11:07 a.m.
Hi,

I'm currently working on the implementation of a report which shows the Defect status of a project area over time. The users would like to see this information in a stacked bar chart which shows the number defects on the y-axis grouped by their severity. The x-axis shall show a time period and the unit shall be configurable by a report parameter, means if year,week or quarter is selected with the parameter the unit shall change accordingly.

I found a quite good hint on the web http://orb-data.com/knowledge-base/tips/tivoli/tcr-and-birt/birt-report-writing-dynamically-setting-axis-formatting.html which explains how to solve this problem and use the shown code in my report.
This works fine in the Eclipse designer but I'm not able to get it to work after deploying it to the server.

Are there any ideas why this doesn't work on the server?

Regards
Matthias

One answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 21 '12, 11:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Matthias,

Please read this wiki which explains the diff between BIRT designer and Jazz embedded BIRT.
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsViewingDifferences

Have your report display the user entered parameter values and you will see in the case of Jazz embedded BIRT, those have single quotes surrounding them.

Comments
Matthias Buettgen commented Aug 21 '12, 11:40 a.m.

Hi Rafik,

thanks for your quick reply to my question. I know about the quotes and I've also considered this in the script. The chart also recognizes the parameter as expected because it shows the series labels in a correct way. The problem are the number of shown bars. It's in all three cases the same which means the chart shows them on a daily basis independent of the selected value.

Regards Matthias

Rafik Jaouani commented Aug 21 '12, 11:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I will probably need to look at the report design. Personally, I never attempted what you are trying to do. Another thing to consider is that in the report viewer, there is a limit of 500 rows being fetched at most. Not sure if that could affect your report.

Matthias Buettgen commented Aug 23 '12, 5:16 a.m.

Hi Rafik,

I found the problem for the behavior and solved it. I forgot to set the grouping of the chart in the beforeFactory method of the report.

Thanks Matthias

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.