It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How should I organize files into components in Jazz source control?

Sarah Landry (1123) | asked Jun 28 '12, 1:42 p.m.
edited Jun 29 '12, 12:10 a.m. by Seth Packham (1.4k42213)
We are new to RTC and our code is currently not under any source control.  Is it a bad idea to have each file (we have about 160 files) assigned to its own component?  It seems there would be a bit of setup work in the beginning but then we'd be able to assign each file a baseline rather than groups of files.  I don't want to get bit down the road by something that I might not be considering.  Thanks!

Comments
Seth Packham commented Jun 29 '12, 12:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I edited the title of the question to better reflect what you were asking.

3 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Jun 28 '12, 2:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Components are intended to group files that are logically related. Changes applied to a component (by delivering or discarding change sets) will effect all of the files simultaneously, so logically dependent files are modified atomically. 

I don't know the specifics of your case, but I would lean towards putting the files into a small number of components, preferably with some kind of logical grouping: ie, documentation, source, data files, etc. 

permanent link
Seth Packham (1.4k42213) | answered Jun 29 '12, 12:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
160 components with a single file in each one sounds like a nightmare to me.

My project is a major website (jazz.net) with thousands of files and several distinct Eclipse projects, and we use a single component. We could easily go to three or four, but it has hardly been a problem.

permanent link
John Camelon (1.7k14) | answered Jul 31 '12, 11:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Components should be at the granularity that they need to change or be consumed.   Decide what your downstream customers need in terms of granularity, and see if it works for how you produce it. 

The SCM piece of Rational Team Concert spans 3 components.  Some teams create a new component for every major significant capability.  Its really in the eye of the beholder.  

If you make a decision now, you can revisit later by consolidating/dividing components using "Move in repository" actions in the Eclipse/VS client or "scm move" command.  

Hope this helps, 
JohnC

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.