It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to mark a custom state as 'Resolved' state for a work item ?

Achint Mathur (2046) | asked Apr 27 '15, 3:25 p.m.
 Hi ,

I am using RTC 4.0.6 in my project . We have different custom work-items setup in our project . We link DBCR workitem as a Child to Defect workitem.
I want to use the Precondition 'All Children Resolved' between both of these but I don't know how to specify what state from the DBCR should be regarded as 'Resovled' by RTC .

In our current setup , my DBCR has  New --> Assigned --> Data Model approved --> In Progress --> Closed
and the Defect has New --> Triaged --> Assigned --> In progress --> Resolved --> In Test --> In UAT --> Passed

I want to ensure that Defect cannot be moved to 'Resolved State' in Defect until DBCR is moved to 'Data Model approved; state . 

On the Workitem workflow , I have selected 'Data model approve' action as the Resolve action , but that does not enforce the precondition.

Please guide me 

Regards,
Achint

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 27 '15, 5:28 p.m.
there is no mechanism built into the product to do cross type dependencies like you describe.

One could create a server side plugin extension to provide this enforcement.
Achint Mathur selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Achint Mathur commented Apr 27 '15, 5:44 p.m.

Thanks Sam for the answer .

Please help me understand what RTC supports for this precondition . I can change the workflow of my workitems to mimic the requirements that RTC supports .

What attribute does RTC check on a child when validating ' All Children Resolved ' condition . I assume it would check the Workflow state of the child workitem .But how do I know which state is regarded as the 'Resolved' stateĀ 

sam detweiler commented Apr 27 '15, 6:33 p.m.

In the workflow of the all workitems you are required to mark each state as to what group the state is in..

open, in progress, and closed/resolved, verified

an example of a plugin that does this kind of checking is my 'depends on' advisor

see the accepted answer here for code that checks thru links to see if workitems are 'closed'/resolved...

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/64268/operation-advisor-custom-precondition-for-work-items

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.