It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC rich client and eclipse 4.2 (Juno)

Borice Arcier (21112) | asked Jun 01 '12, 8:24 a.m.
Can the RTC client be deployed in a 4.2 (Juno) eclipse platform ?

9 answers

permanent link
Mark Richmond (5144) | answered Dec 05 '12, 5:25 p.m.
Take a look at this work item https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/205774  Based on what's in teh work item and what we are seeing. The context menu's work most of the time in Juno 4.2 and some workarounds exist they are completely broken in Juno 4.2 SR2. A fix has been made to Eclipse which should be in a planned February release. I've had good results using the base Juno 4.2 not Juno SR2 One of my developers also suggests the work around below of course your mileage may vary 

If you are using Eclipse Juno, you may have issues with accepting/delivering pending changes from time to time. I just found a workaround: 

Deliver your changes:

1.      Check in files to a change set

2.      Select one checked in file from Project Explorer

3.      Right click the file and select Team->Deliver

4.      “Check-in local changes” is popped up. Click NO

5.      “Deliver Change sets” is popped up. All pending change sets are displayed. Select the one you want to deliver and click ok

6.      If the change set is not associated with a work item, you will get error. You can create work item and complete the delivering.

Accept changes

7.      Select a file which is in one change set from Project Explorer

8.      Right click the file and select Team->Accept

9.      You will get a popup and all incoming change sets are listed. Select the ones you want to accept 

permanent link
Patrick LoPresti (8859) | answered Dec 26 '12, 2:14 p.m.
Seems like this ought to be among the answers to this question:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RTCEclipse4Adoption

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jun 01 '12, 9:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can the RTC client be deployed in a 4.2 (Juno) eclipse platform ?
I have tried installing RTC using a p2 repo into 4.2 M6. It works as far as I noticed. There may be a few bugs but it was usable for the most part. You may be able to see some of the logged bugs so far if you search jazz.net work items related to Eclipse 4.2 or 4.x. Eclipse 4.x isn't supported though so those work items don't have a planned target for completion.

permanent link
Eric Benzacar (41912) | answered Sep 11 '12, 1:29 p.m.
Which RTC client did you use?  I've tried this with the 3.0iFix1 client (my server is still at 3.0iFix1) and Eclipse complains that the p2 repo is not a valid repo.

Thanks,

Eric

permanent link
Mark Richmond (5144) | answered Sep 11 '12, 1:42 p.m.
 I installed the RTC 3.0.1.1 plugin into Juno it seems to function without noticeable problems. Totally unsupported of course. I have not yet tested 4.0  

permanent link
Eric Benzacar (41912) | answered Sep 11 '12, 2:56 p.m.
edited Sep 11 '12, 3:02 p.m.
I just downloaded the 3.0.1.1 p2 repo and was able to get it to install as well, but of course, I cannot use it with 3.0iFix1 server (client/server version mismatch).  And when I try with the 3.0iFix1 repo, eclipse complains that it cannot find the jar file.  Even though I am pointing it directly at the RTC-Client-p2Repo-3.0iFix1 zip file.

And if I try to install via the Installation Manager, the Installation Manager fails in that the com.ibm.ccl.ua.wizards.feature.uid.feature package is not installed in Juno.  I have no idea where that package is supposed to come from, but I guess it is just not feasible to get the 3.0 client installed in Juno.

*sigh*  Was really hoping to move to Juno, but guess I am stuck on Indigo until the servers are upgraded to something more recent (might be in a couple of years....).

Thanks,

Eric

Comments
Eric Benzacar commented Sep 11 '12, 3:19 p.m.

After further analysis, I noticed that the 3.0iFix1 p2 repo file was packaged differently than the 3.0.1.1 p2 repo file. I extracted the zip, and rezipped at the repo level (ie: root folder of zip now contains artifacts.xml, content.xml, etc). Juno picked it up properly this time and installed as expected. Left to determine if it works properly, but at first glance, all seems okay.

permanent link
Borice Arcier (21112) | answered Sep 11 '12, 3:01 p.m.
 I've plugged the RTC Client 4.0 onto a RCP app based built on Juno and it works pretty good.

permanent link
Victor Campbell (3502618) | answered Dec 05 '12, 4:12 p.m.
edited Dec 05 '12, 4:12 p.m.
We have 3 developers using Juno with the RTC 4.0 plug-in on Windows 7 workstations.  All 3 lose their "right-click" mouse function in RTC eclipse views within minutes of use.

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Dec 28 '12, 8:07 a.m.
Just a reminder for easy RTC plugin installation, if you create "dropins" folder in your eclipse directory and put all RTC features and plugins inside of it you will have RTC plugin installed to your eclipse. You will have a folder structure like that.

Comments
Patrick LoPresti commented Dec 28 '12, 11:47 a.m.

The "dropins" mechanism does work, but using a p2 package is usually better (automatic dependency tracking etc.)

Just follow IBM's instructions to download and install from the RTC p2 repository.

Canberk Akduygu commented Dec 28 '12, 4:05 p.m.

You are right but when you have 150 people to distribute RTC, dropins saves the day :) I am sick dealing with dependency problem of eclipse plugins like spring,hibernate,etc...  There's always a dependency problem when I use repository connections.

But I'll try your suggestion. Thanx

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.