It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can Work Item List be customized to allow non unique items?

Audrey Wang (4123) | asked May 30 '12, 7:34 p.m.
We are in need of an attribute of a work item that is like the Work Item List, but where the list is capable of containing more than one instance of the same work item. For example:

work item 1
work item 2
work item 2
work item 3

It seems the Work Item List only allows unique work items.

Comments
sam detweiler commented May 31 '12, 8:36 a.m. | edited Jun 01 '12, 8:28 p.m.

can u explain a little more the list u want.. what is it showing, if not workitems?

Audrey Wang commented Jun 01 '12, 7:30 p.m. | edited Jun 01 '12, 7:33 p.m.

Currently with the Work Item List attribute type, I cannot 'add' workitem2 to the attribute if workitem2 is already in the list, so this attribute type can only contain unique work items, i.e.,

{workitem 1,

workitem 2,

workitem 3}

I'd like a list attribute that's capable of containing multiple instances of the same work item, i.e.,

{workitem 1,

workitem 2,

workitem 2,

workitem 3,

workitem 3,

workitem 4}

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Audrey

sam detweiler commented Jun 01 '12, 8:14 p.m. | edited Jun 01 '12, 8:28 p.m.

sorry, still no clue..

can u give us a business description of what you are trying to display?

I want to see all the ????? in a list.

workitem 'list' attribute?

never seen a workitem list (class or attibute)

can u show us the code u are trying to use?

One answer

permanent link
Filip Wieladek (30413) | answered Jun 02 '12, 4:14 a.m.
edited Jun 05 '12, 3:18 a.m.
No, unfortunately this is not possible. Currently every entry in a list attribute will be unique.

You can file an enhancement request for Rational Team Concert to allow repeating entries in lists.

Comments
Audrey Wang commented Jun 04 '12, 11:05 a.m.

Thank you Filip for your response. I will file the request for enhancement. In the mean time, can you suggest another attribute type as a workaround? I need a dynamically built list of names that can be repeated.

Thanks, Audrey

Filip Wieladek commented Jun 04 '12, 12:15 p.m.

Hey Audrey,
In RTC 4.0 we introduced String Lists, but those have the same limitation. Of the top of my head I can only think of a Medium (or large if it does not have to be queryable) string with a text presentation. Then you can have a comma (or new line) separated list of items.

If you provide some information on "what" you want to achieve (e.g. why would you want to enter a work item twice) instead of "how", we might be able to provide a different solution which works better.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.