It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can Work Item List be customized to allow non unique items?

Audrey Wang (4123) | asked May 30 '12, 7:34 p.m.
We are in need of an attribute of a work item that is like the Work Item List, but where the list is capable of containing more than one instance of the same work item. For example:

work item 1
work item 2
work item 2
work item 3

It seems the Work Item List only allows unique work items.

Comments
sam detweiler commented May 31 '12, 8:36 a.m. | edited Jun 01 '12, 8:28 p.m.

can u explain a little more the list u want.. what is it showing, if not workitems?

Audrey Wang commented Jun 01 '12, 7:30 p.m. | edited Jun 01 '12, 7:33 p.m.

Currently with the Work Item List attribute type, I cannot 'add' workitem2 to the attribute if workitem2 is already in the list, so this attribute type can only contain unique work items, i.e.,

{workitem 1,

workitem 2,

workitem 3}

I'd like a list attribute that's capable of containing multiple instances of the same work item, i.e.,

{workitem 1,

workitem 2,

workitem 2,

workitem 3,

workitem 3,

workitem 4}

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Audrey

sam detweiler commented Jun 01 '12, 8:14 p.m. | edited Jun 01 '12, 8:28 p.m.

sorry, still no clue..

can u give us a business description of what you are trying to display?

I want to see all the ????? in a list.

workitem 'list' attribute?

never seen a workitem list (class or attibute)

can u show us the code u are trying to use?

One answer

permanent link
Filip Wieladek (30413) | answered Jun 02 '12, 4:14 a.m.
edited Jun 05 '12, 3:18 a.m.
No, unfortunately this is not possible. Currently every entry in a list attribute will be unique.

You can file an enhancement request for Rational Team Concert to allow repeating entries in lists.

Comments
Audrey Wang commented Jun 04 '12, 11:05 a.m.

Thank you Filip for your response. I will file the request for enhancement. In the mean time, can you suggest another attribute type as a workaround? I need a dynamically built list of names that can be repeated.

Thanks, Audrey

Filip Wieladek commented Jun 04 '12, 12:15 p.m.

Hey Audrey,
In RTC 4.0 we introduced String Lists, but those have the same limitation. Of the top of my head I can only think of a Medium (or large if it does not have to be queryable) string with a text presentation. Then you can have a comma (or new line) separated list of items.

If you provide some information on "what" you want to achieve (e.g. why would you want to enter a work item twice) instead of "how", we might be able to provide a different solution which works better.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.