It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Execution order of work item save operation participants

Geoff Alexander (19623948) | asked May 25 '12, 12:41 p.m.
We've developed our own set of custom work items including a number of work item save operation participants. We need to have some of our operation participants called in a specific order. I believe that operation participants are called in the order given in the process configuration as the process configuration editor includes the ability to order them via Up and Down buttons, and in practice we've found this to be the case. However, I've been unable to find the operation participant execution order documented anywhere. Is this indeed supported behavior in that it won't suddenly change on us in a future RTC/JTS release? If so, is this behavior documented anywhere? Thanks...

Comments
Geoff Alexander commented Apr 02 '15, 3:33 p.m. | edited Apr 02 '15, 3:34 p.m.

I know that this is an old question.  But I have a follow-on question that stems from one of our customer's process configuration.  What is the work item save operation participants execution order when work item save operation participants are defined in multiple places.  Specifically, what is the execution order when

1. work item save operation participants are defined in a parent project area and a child team area?
  2. work item save operation participants are defined for multiple roles?
  3. a combination of bullets 1 and 2?
Thanks...

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 31 '12, 12:14 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As per my information the order is honored. There are even buttons to change the order. If you want more documentation you should consider writing a work item against documentation or, in case you have an issue where the order is not honored, write a PMR.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 25 '12, 3:16 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The participants are, as far as I know, called in the order from up to down. Not sure if it's documented anywhere.

permanent link
Tim Hahn (511) | answered May 31 '12, 12:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
My suspicion here is that the original expectation around work item save operation participants is that they were/are expected to be independent of one another and thus not really be order dependent.

Through experience, it seems that such an expectation is not acceptable or possible in actual deployments. With multiple process customization changes being added to RTC project area configuration, it is bound to happen that one set of process configuration will depend on another set of process configuration being already applied to the system. Likewise, it follows that a work item save participant then might also depend on information that other work item save participants would have already added/modified prior to the first-mentioned work item save participant being invoked. This, then, causes an order-dependency.

One way or another, there needs to be a clear statement of what is supported. Is order (as displayed in the config) honored or is order of invocation indeterminant?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.