It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Export / Archive of Project Area

Terry Taylor (4199) | asked May 21 '12, 5:56 a.m.
I've been looking into the Archiving of Projects. It seems to me that the Project Archive only hides the project from users and performs no other functions on the project area.

Ideally, I'd like to use repotools to export the project to file (CD/DVD or Tape eventually) to then be removed entirely from RTC. Obviously this wouldn't happen as I can't find anything in repotools that would satisfy it without taking the entire database.

Taking the source files would be one option, however by just exporting them I would lose all the metadata and work items that are attributed to the files.

Cheers

Tel

3 answers

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 21 '12, 1:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've been looking into the Archiving of Projects. It seems to me that the Project Archive only hides the project from users and performs no other functions on the project area.

Correct. Archiving a project area (or archiving anything else for that matter) simply makes it harder to see the project area, and therefore harder to use it. Archiving never deletes anything from the repository.

There is no mechanism to completely delete a project area from a repository.

--
David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

permanent link
Terry Taylor (4199) | answered May 29 '12, 10:22 a.m.
Is there no way of backing up an individual project then?

In ClearCase we archived the VOB, ergo removing to a safe location all of the artifacts for that particular project. Is there no such facility in RTC?

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 29 '12, 11:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is there no way of backing up an individual project then?

No, there is not. You can backup and restore the entire server. Backup/restore of individual project areas within a server is not supported.

--
David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.