It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SVN Dump Format/Encoding Question

Joshua Giangrande (2611216) | asked Apr 30 '12, 8:00 p.m.
Hey everyone,

I'm working on importing data from our current source control system into RTC, and am running into a bit of a snag. I seem to be running into an error where everything wants to import as text/plain with ISO-8859-1 encoding, unless an encoding was specified in the document itself (several xml files have imported correctly because a tag identifies them as using UTF-8 encoding). Realizing this is not what I wanted, I took a small dump file I had lying around and began manually fiddling with it before I made the appropriate changes to my code which generates the dump files for me.

I have determined that I can change the text/plain value to what I want by adding a key of "svn:mime-type" with a value of "text/plain", like so:

K 13
svn:mime-type
V 10
text/plain

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the encoding in the same way. I did some research online and found what appeared to be various svn command line calls that were formatted like this:

svn propset "svn:mime-type" "text/plain;encoding=UTF-16LE"

This initially made me believe that I could pass "text/plain; encoding=UTF-8" as a value to the key of svn:mime-type. RTC, however, interpreted this as me trying to set the Content MIME-Type field to the literal string "text/plain; encoding=UTF-8" which is not what I want. I have also tried substituting the word "encoding" with "charset," which I saw in another example, and achieved the same results. I have tried adding a key of "svn:encoding" with a value of "UTF-8," and RTC seems to skip over the key altogether (I assume it never was or is no longer a recognized key word).

If anyone knows how to modify a dump file to change the Text File Encoding field in RTC I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Thanks,
- Josh

edit: removed extraneous code tag, added more detail to first paragraph.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.