It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz Build Engine in RTC

Weilim Er (4612013) | asked Apr 09 '12, 12:55 p.m.
Hi,

Need to know this urgently.
Is Jazz Build Engine multi threaded? Can we execute multiple builds concurrently with a single JBE instance? Please explain how is it configured.

Can you also point me to good documentation on JBE as well as RTC integration with Rational Build Forge?

Thanks.

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 09 '12, 2:28 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A given JBE process executes one build at a time.
In order to get multiple parallel JBE builds, you would create multiple JBEs.
Of course, if the build itself can invoke multiple parallel build steps (such as Build Forge can do), then you would get parallelism at that level.

For documentation, I use the on-line help topic "Building with Jazz Team Build".
It has pointers to other jazz.net articles.

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi,

Is Jazz Build Engine multi threaded? Can we execute multiple builds concurrently with a single JBE instance? Please explain how is it configured.

Can you also point me to good documentation on JBE as well as RTC integration with Rational Build Forge?

Thanks.

permanent link
Weilim Er (4612013) | answered Apr 09 '12, 8:06 p.m.
Am I right to say even with a single JBE process, it does not limit the number of builds that can be invoked? If the JBE is busy processing a build, it puts the rest of the build requests into the queue and process at first-come-first-serve logic once the current build is complete?

Of course, if the build itself can invoke multiple parallel build steps (such as Build Forge can do), then you would get parallelism at that level.

For documentation, I use the on-line help topic "Building with Jazz Team Build".

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi,

Thanks.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 09 '12, 10:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Logically, that is correct. The actual implementation is that the build queue is maintained on the Jazz server. When a given JBE process completes its current build request, it asks the server for the next one to process. Note that this gives you additional flexibility, because you declare the list of build engines that can handle a given build definition, which allows the first JBE on that list that is available to start that build.

Cheers,
Geoff

Am I right to say even with a single JBE process, it does not limit the number of builds that can be invoked? If the JBE is busy processing a build, it puts the rest of the build requests into the queue and process at first-come-first-serve logic once the current build is complete?

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi,

Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.