It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Management of z/OS Applications through RTC

Shajeel Khan (2146) | asked Apr 05 '12, 10:46 a.m.
In order to use RTC for the management of z/OS applications, will the following scenario work?

The Windows versions of RTC, Websphere, and DB2 will be installed and then used to maintain z/OS code.

Is this possible? If so, what adapters/tools will be required to be installed on z/OS in order to make this work?

4 answers

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Apr 06 '12, 10:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

There are a lot of missing pieces to this picture. I'm not sure what you really mean by 'management of z/OS applications' but I'll answer as best I can and I'm sure you will have more questions afterwards.

Yes, your scenario will work. You can have the server and the database all running on Windows. By the way, you do not have to have the database on the same box as the server. I have seen customers choosing to use DB2 on z for the back end database to take advantage of the stability of z/OS and their server running on something like a large AIX box. Anyway, you have plenty of options here.

Assuming that you are talking about managing artifacts like COBOL/PLI, REXX, JCL you will need to install the Build Toolkit and the Job Monitor on the z/OS side. This will enable you to get artifacts out of the RTC SCM and onto the z/OS non-hierarchical file system and build (or compile). To be able to do this you will need the functionality provided by the 'Enterprise Developer' client access license. This license also unlock additional functionality such as Promotion, Package and Deploy and Context Aware Search.

That should be enough info for you to think about and do some investigation on.

Guy

permanent link
Shajeel Khan (2146) | answered Apr 09 '12, 8:30 a.m.
Thanks a lot for the information, Guy.

Let's say I have a working installation of RTC on Windows (I have JTS, CCM, etc.) installed and configured with DB2 running on another Windows machine, how can I start with configuring my z/OS with the current setup?

Can you please point to a link or steps for doing that?

Thank you for your help.

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Apr 09 '12, 2:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can get the smp/e installation packages from jazz.net. I don't know what version you are running but we have a zip containing the smp/e packages for all versions except 3.0.1.3 (we are still working on that one). If you click on 'all downloads' for whatever version you are playing with you will find the smp/e zip if you look doen the list. If you are playing with a milestone driver then things are a little different (there are no smp/e packages), we are just shipping zips. There are instructions on how to tailor and run the configurations scripts.

If you want to just get build going then you will want to install the build tool kit and configure and run the Build Forge Agent. There is also an ISPF client that you could use. There is also some tooling to integrate RTC with RDz (if you are an RDz customer).

You can also look through the doc center (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp) for more installation/configuration instructions

If you are just going to get build going then the gist of it is... you have the Build Forge Agent running as a daemon on z/OS. You invoke a build on the RTC server, it contacts the agent on z/OS. Jobs get run via the agent that extract the source from the RTC SCM into z/OS PDSE's and then invokes the relevant compiler, captures the compiler listings and you get then in the build results. So you end up with a build result that you can view via the RTC client and a bunch of executables on the host machine. How to set to the Eclipse projects to contain the COBOL etc programs and what/how to set up the other build artifacts (like language Definitions, Translator definitions, and Data Set Definitions) are all documented.

Guy

permanent link
Shajeel Khan (2146) | answered Apr 12 '12, 6:38 a.m.
Thanks Alot Guy...! This was Very helpful :)

Regards,
Shajeel Ahmed Khan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.