It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Auto work item status change when associating a changeset?

David Dulling (13731212) | asked Mar 21 '12, 12:35 p.m.
Hi

When I make a change and associate the changeset with a work item, it seems strange to me that the work item can be a status of New both before and after the asociation

I guess I'm wondering two things:

1. Can I prevent an association to a Work Item that's at the "New" state and force the owner to at least change the state to "In Progress" first? I'd rather know a work item is actually being worked at the time he/she starts working on it rather than when he/she is about to associate the changes to it so it might encourage him/her to change its state

2. If I can't do 1. then is there a way of automatically moving the work item's status from "New" to "In Progress" (or some other from/to state) when associating a changeset to it?

Thanks

David

n.b. I'm using 3.0.1.2

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 21 '12, 11:11 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is no out-of-the-box precondition that prevents associating a change-set with a New work item (there is one that prevents association with a Closed work item). But you could code up your own precondition for this.

Similarly, you could code up your own follow-up action that automatically transitions to an active state. What I don't know is whether there is a "generic" way to do this, or whether your code would need to know the specific state that you want to transition to for each work item type. Perhaps someone else knows about a generic way to do that.

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi

When I make a change and associate the changeset with a work item, it seems strange to me that the work item can be a status of New both before and after the asociation

1. Can I prevent an association to a Work Item that's at the "New" state and force the owner to at least change the state to "In Progress" first? I'd rather know a work item is actually being worked at the time he/she starts working on it rather than when he/she is about to associate the changes to it so it might encourage him/her to change its state

2. If I can't do 1. then is there a way of automatically moving the work item's status from "New" to "In Progress" (or some other from/to state) when associating a changeset to it?

Thanks

David

n.b. I'm using 3.0.1.2

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Mar 22 '12, 3:44 a.m.
Hi, Geoff

Thanks for your reply

Regards

David
There is no out-of-the-box precondition that prevents associating a change-set with a New work item (there is one that prevents association with a Closed work item). But you could code up your own precondition for this.

Similarly, you could code up your own follow-up action that automatically transitions to an active state. What I don't know is whether there is a "generic" way to do this, or whether your code would need to know the specific state that you want to transition to for each work item type. Perhaps someone else knows about a generic way to do that.

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi

Thanks

David

n.b. I'm using 3.0.1.2

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.