It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

moving workspace/workbench/sandbox

Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | asked Feb 23 '12, 9:20 a.m.
Hi!

Due to HD issues, I swapped drives and now the workspace (or whatever it's called, I mean the thing you select on startup of the Eclipse RTC client) is located on drive F: instead of G:. Selecting the new location on startup doesn't help, RTC seems to load something, but it fails to detect the loaded components and can't find the sources either.

Questions:
1. What can I do to fix this? I'll try to see if I can convince XP to switch drive letters and then try again, but that's just a workaround.
2. How do I prevent this in the future? Is there a correct way to move a workspace?

Thanks!

Uli

4 answers

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | answered Feb 23 '12, 9:50 a.m.
Hi!

Due to HD issues, I swapped drives and now the workspace (or whatever it's called, I mean the thing you select on startup of the Eclipse RTC client) is located on drive F: instead of G:. Selecting the new location on startup doesn't help, RTC seems to load something, but it fails to detect the loaded components and can't find the sources either.

Questions:
1. What can I do to fix this? I'll try to see if I can convince XP to switch drive letters and then try again, but that's just a workaround.
2. How do I prevent this in the future? Is there a correct way to move a workspace?

Thanks!

Uli

In general, the repository workspace is in the server. Hence its easy to switch the the workspace in Eclipse. Of course if you have some unresolved files in old workspace you might need to copy manually

Ofcourse its a pain to configure configure eclipse everytime when workspace is switched but its a one time task (if you don't change the eclipse workspace more often)

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Feb 24 '12, 3:12 a.m.
In general, the repository workspace is in the server.

This is not the think I was talking of, I meant the thing you select in the "Workspace Launcher" when RTC/Eclipse is started, but which is something different than RTC's repository workspace. Yes, the terminology could be improved here...

Thanks anyway!

Uli

permanent link
David Van Herzele (10121) | answered Feb 24 '12, 3:23 a.m.
Correct terminology:
Local Workspace (chosen at startup of eclipse)
Repository Workspace (serverside workspace)

I never had that issue present it self, but you could try:
- copy the contents over manually
- import all your projects in your new local workspace using eclipse import

If you're concerned about your eclipse preferences, you can export/import them through the eclipse import and export assistant. However not all preferences are exported, there still seem to be some that need to be setup manually.

In general, the repository workspace is in the server.

This is not the think I was talking of, I meant the thing you select in the "Workspace Launcher" when RTC/Eclipse is started, but which is something different than RTC's repository workspace. Yes, the terminology could be improved here...

Thanks anyway!

Uli

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Feb 24 '12, 4:01 a.m.
David, thanks for your reply, though I didn't get to try it out. The reason is that I just gave up trying to fix this, even changing the drive letters back to the state before didn't help.

Anyway, since I still had the local workspace, I just used it to load the component I needed to work on (release due today...). I pointed RTC at the location where the sources had been loaded already. RTC then told me there was a conflict with an existing loaded component and asked me whether I wanted to reload the component (loosing all local changes, of course). I accepted, and lo and behold, suddenly all the other components became visible, too, without reloading and without them having their changes nuked!

All I still had to do was to grab the overwritten changes from the .jazzShed folder and copy them on top of the current dir to restore them.

Uli

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.