It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best way to share repository workspace, undelivered changes

Fred Kulack (644) | asked Feb 22 '12, 9:50 a.m.
What is the best way to share code between two workspaces?

I have to jump between two systems (separate architectures) to do development and test. My main development system is a mac, the tests I'm doing require windows.

So, I currently have 2 repository workspaces (A main development one used on eclipse on my Mac, and a windows one). I do development on the Mac.

When its time to test something that doesn't work on the Mac, I switch to the windows machine, change the flow target of my windows repository workspace to my main Mac repository workspace, accept the changes and test.

The only issue I have with this is that I have to complete my change sets before accepting them.

This jumping back and forth and completing change sets ends up making me have many small change sets (for piece I finish and want to test) instead of change sets for the entire logical piece of work.

Is there a better way to do this sharing? I tried just using the same repository workspace on both systems, but then I have to continually reload the components because they get out of sync, which is slow and cumbersome.

Ideas?
Thanks all!

2 answers

permanent link
David Van Herzele (10121) | answered Feb 22 '12, 10:10 a.m.
Sharing one repository workspace should be the way to go in my eyes, but it really depends of the size of your eclipse projects.

When reloading the repository workspace you can select the components to reload as well as the specific eclipse projects you wish to reload.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 23 '12, 12:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Having two workspaces is currently the best way to go.
To avoid completing a change set, suspend it before switching to the other workspace. Then you can resume it in the other workspace. Not ideal, but usually faster than reloading out-of-sync components.

Cheers,
Geoff

What is the best way to share code between two workspaces?

I have to jump between two systems (separate architectures) to do development and test. My main development system is a mac, the tests I'm doing require windows.

So, I currently have 2 repository workspaces (A main development one used on eclipse on my Mac, and a windows one). I do development on the Mac.

When its time to test something that doesn't work on the Mac, I switch to the windows machine, change the flow target of my windows repository workspace to my main Mac repository workspace, accept the changes and test.

The only issue I have with this is that I have to complete my change sets before accepting them.

This jumping back and forth and completing change sets ends up making me have many small change sets (for piece I finish and want to test) instead of change sets for the entire logical piece of work.

Is there a better way to do this sharing? I tried just using the same repository workspace on both systems, but then I have to continually reload the components because they get out of sync, which is slow and cumbersome.

Ideas?
Thanks all!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.