It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Starndard Client CAN NOT Connect with Standard Serve

michael garvin (116119) | asked Jul 28 '08, 10:20 a.m.
Hi, we've been unsuccessfully trying to get some of our internal users at Nortel to get running with the RTC client for the past two weeks, and we keep hitting the same frustrating problem:

1) I have the 1642 build of client and server isntalled on my desktop. I can connect to the repository, make a sample project, and do pretty much anything, it all seems to work ok.

2) When I ask someone else to download the 1642 build of the client and connect to the repository from their own desktop, they get this error:

Client/server version mismatch logging into 'mgarvin-4'.
CRJAZ1176I There is a version mismatch for the "com.ibm.team.repository.service.IItemRenderService" service. The server version is "" while the client version is "6". Both client and server version must match. Check the overall version of the client using Help->About and ensure it is compatible with server version "1.0" and build id "I20080618-1642".

3) We both did a clean install, removing everything first and reinstalling, and I've made sure that the other users was _not_ using any existing Eclipse GUI he had installed on his machine.

Yet...after we each did several reinstalls with what appears to be the latest Standard package on the Jazz.net download page...somethin gis still out of synch version wise.

At this point I don't know how to debug this further, and other internal users are going to start viewing Jazz RTC as soemthing that just isn't very reliable or is too complicated to get working. Two weeks of frustration is a lot around here for a new and unproven tool.

How can I debug this issue? I did see this posting:

https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1862&highlight=server

But there was no reply to it. :(

Any tips/help would be appreciated....

(^_^)/
mike.

8 answers

permanent link
Ritchie Schacher - IBM (47611) | answered Jul 28 '08, 10:20 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can you connect to the server admin web UI at <serverURL>:port/admin, and
check the server status page? Are there any errors indicated? If you
then look at Help->About, is the GA version of the project showing?

permanent link
Ritchie Schacher - IBM (47611) | answered Jul 28 '08, 10:20 a.m.
Also, from the server status page, click "Component Status", and in the
resulting page, search for "IItemRenderService" and verify it's status is
green.

Ritchie Schacher
Jazz Server Development

permanent link
michael garvin (116119) | answered Jul 28 '08, 10:35 a.m.
I did also review the IBM help page for that error code:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3488&context=SSCP65&dc=DB520&dc=DB560&uid=swg21304909&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct3488rational

But it doesn't say what to do when the server version is being reported as blank :( :(

(^_^)/
mike.

permanent link
michael garvin (116119) | answered Jul 28 '08, 12:14 p.m.
Thanks for the quick reply Ritchie, I just logged in as admin, and in the general status screen I can see:

Status Summary
Server Status
Database Status Connected
Server Version 1.0 (I20080618-1642)
Server Uptime 3 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes
Memory Usage
Maximum Memory Allocation 700 MB
Current

The build version matches what I see in the client (i.e. Help > About)...the 1642 build.

For the component status, I searched for and found:

com.ibm.team.repository.service.IItemRenderService (Alias: resource)

It has a green check mark beside it, and is listed under the category:

com.ibm.team.repository

The server seems to be up and running, just not sure how/why the client is saying the server version of this component is "".

I'm just now going to try also installing the client on a third machine to see if I can replicate the problem separately.

(^_^)/
mike.

permanent link
michael garvin (116119) | answered Jul 28 '08, 12:15 p.m.
Also note that the server error summary section is empty :)

(^_^)/
mike.

permanent link
michael garvin (116119) | answered Jul 28 '08, 3:50 p.m.
Hey, ok, I tried installing the standard client on my home machine which is definiteliy remote and separate from the machine at work where I installed the server :)

Works fine :)

So...I think the issue is my collegues machine, I'll try to follow up with them...but I'm not sure what to look for in terms of diagnostics.

Is there anything more than removing the files and workspace we need to do to make sure my collegues machine is "clean"?

(^_^)/
mike.

permanent link
michael garvin (116119) | answered Jul 31 '08, 9:13 a.m.
Hey guys, we sorted it out...there was a bad URI being used to connect the repository.

(^_^)/
mike.

permanent link
Ritchie Schacher - IBM (47611) | answered Jul 31 '08, 10:06 a.m.
Thanks Mike, glad to hear you got it working. Could you tell us more about
what was bad about the URI in case someone else runs into the same problem?
Also it sounds like it was not intuitive the way the system failed based on
the cause.

Ritchie Schacher
Jazz Server Development

"dinobot71" <mgarvin> wrote in message
news:g6se28$3v8$1@localhost.localdomain...
Hey guys, we sorted it out...there was a bad URI being used to connect
the repository.

(^_^)/
mike.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.