It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use of an internal class

Sylvain LEQUEUX (2132728) | asked Jan 04 '12, 7:49 a.m.
Hello,

I'm developping an extension for the Eclipse client and I'm facing a little problem. What I want to do is to search for a component but I don't care wich baseline or in wich workspace.

I thought about developping a new wizard which uses the ComponentSelectionPage. But this class is in the package "com.ibm.team.internal.filesystem.ui.wizards.component" which is discouraged. In fact, this class belongs to an internal package and should not be used outside of the com.ibm.team.filesystem.ide.ui plugin.

My questions are :
Could I use this class even if it is discouraged ? What are the implications of the use of a discouraged class ? If I can't use it, is there a built in wizard or page to get an IComponent on a repository by writing a regular expression ?

Best regards,
Sylvain

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 04 '12, 10:24 a.m.
Internal says that this class is not exposed, and not intended to be used by developers outside the RTC product.

Sure, you 'can' use it.. I have had to make a couple plugins where I used and changed internal code. I submitted enhancement requests for the function I needed so in the future this might be a supported mechanism..

in the short term, I have to watch every release change to see if the code I used or modified is changed in any way, and update my code as soon as possible..

I also had to identify this problem to my company change control board, so that they could add it to the list of items to look out for on any change plan.

Sam

permanent link
Sylvain LEQUEUX (2132728) | answered Jan 04 '12, 10:31 a.m.
Thank you for your feedback about using internal classes.

I'll try not using it for now and I'm still on searching a way to get an IComponent with the most integrated solution :) If I find a way, I'll update this post.

permanent link
Sylvain LEQUEUX (2132728) | answered Jan 05 '12, 7:39 a.m.
Hellon,

I now have a solution wich is god enough for me.
I re-implement a new WizardPage using com.ibm.team.filesystem.ui.ComponentSelector item wich is the most important part of the built in WizardPage.
Moreover, I was able to hide the "filter" button wich was almost useless for my usecase :D

Regards,
Sylvain

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.