It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Building dependancies between Work Item Instances

Jiong Xie (7154) | asked Jul 16 '08, 9:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
We want to build a strict sequence of work items:

Task c, cannot be started before task b,( and task b cannot be started before a, and so on).

How can we define , prepare such a behaviour at the process template level (or in ProjectArea)?

At the moment (in the Process Template) at Project Area Initialization Setup Project Server Follow/On actions, we have defined 7 Work Item Template. We would like to be able to set up some kind of 'dependancies|blocking' mechanism between these Work Items. (once again, the goal is that a task cannot be started before the previous is finished)

Any ideas? (we don't mind if the solution is very complicated or elaborate...)

2 answers

permanent link
Christof Marti (681) | answered Jul 17 '08, 2:45 a.m.
Hi,

what we have are the blocks/depends links between work items, but these are not enforced in any way and the Setup follow-up action cannot be configured to create links between the work items.

If you wanted you could write your own setup follow-up action that supports links between work items and an operation participant for the 'save work item' operation that checks that all dependencies are resolved before a work item can be set 'in progress' or be resolved.

I've opened enhancements 59096 and 59097 to capture your requests.

Regards,

Christof
Jazz Work Item team

jessekiki wrote:
Hi,
We want to build a strict sequence of work items:

Task c, cannot be started before task b,( and task b cannot be started
before a, and so on).

How can we define , prepare such a behaviour at the process template
level (or in ProjectArea)?

At the moment (in the Process Template) at Project Area Initialization
Setup Project Server Follow/On actions, we have defined 7 Work Item
Template. We would like to be able to set up some kind of
'dependancies|blocking' mechanism between these Work Items. (once
again, the goal is that a task cannot be started before the previous
is finished)

Any ideas? (we don't mind if the solution is very complicated or
elaborate...)

permanent link
Jiong Xie (7154) | answered Jul 17 '08, 4:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

what we have are the blocks/depends links between work items, but these are not enforced in any way and the Setup follow-up action cannot be configured to create links between the work items.

If you wanted you could write your own setup follow-up action that supports links between work items and an operation participant for the 'save work item' operation that checks that all dependencies are resolved before a work item can be set 'in progress' or be resolved.

I've opened enhancements 59096 and 59097 to capture your requests.

Regards,

Christof
Jazz Work Item team

Thx, Christof!
I had found depends/blocks and tried it as well(missing enforement:( ). Anyway, I'm looking forward to the enhancement. :D

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.