It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Broadcasting messages from the Server - e.g. maintenance

Sean Babineau (38825) | asked Jul 11 '08, 10:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I was wondering if there is some way to "broadcast" an instant message through the Team Server to all users currently logged into the server.

Basically the use case I am thinking of is this:

If I was a system administrator, and needed to take down the server for some emergency fix, how would I broadcast a message to everyone logged on to the server saying something like "I need to do some emergency maintenance on this Team Server, and plan to shut it down in 10 minutes. If anyone needs more time, please respond to this message in the next 10 minutes." ?

Thanks
Sean.

4 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jul 11 '08, 1:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

Depending on your IM system - you should be able to do this. All logged on users will be logged on to the IM system. Jabber/Openfire allows you to do a group message and you could add all online users - that should do the trick

regards

anthony

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jul 14 '08, 1:35 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Realistically, the scenario goes a bit farther, though. Not only do we need to message logged in users, but we need to block or automatically warn new logins during the pre-maintenance period.

I've run into this situation several times already (needing to do some maintenance and wanting to warn folks) and it really is a pain that the Admin console doesn't have a graceful way of handling this. It would really increase usability for our Admins if we could offer some support here.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jul 14 '08, 5:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ah - didn't think about that case (users logging in after the initial 10 min warning example). This sounds like a good work item.

There is a related work item under discussion here:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Project#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=57931

you might want to add to that, or extract a new work item with more detail

regards

anthony

permanent link
Sean Babineau (38825) | answered Jul 14 '08, 7:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, I was thinking about something like the Unix wall command (or rather, a similar command we have on System i called "SNDBRKMSG").

Millard, you do bring up a good point about the hapless user who logs on after the message gets sent. That may not be easy to solve.

Thanks, gents!
Sean.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.