It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Licenses and High Availability

Luca Martinucci (1.0k397112) | asked Nov 22 '11, 2:30 a.m.
When configuring RTC in a HA environment (i.e. with a primary and a standby server), where should CAL licenses be imported?
I think it is important to know whether imported licenses are stored in the database or on the filesystem of the application server.
If they are stored in the db, I suppose that there are no problems, as the active application server acts only as a "bridge" to upload CALs in the db.
Anyway, do they contain any reference to the application server?

Accepted answer

permanent link
T M (8878188143) | answered Nov 22 '11, 3:44 a.m.
Licenses will in the DB. That's why you can do license mgmt from the RTC web client. I think there will some references to the application server, not fully sure though!

Thanks!
Luca Martinucci selected this answer as the correct answer

4 other answers

permanent link
Luca Martinucci (1.0k397112) | answered Nov 22 '11, 5:43 a.m.
Licenses will in the DB. That's why you can do license mgmt from the RTC web client. I think there will some references to the application server, not fully sure though!

Thanks!

Thanks for your answer.
I was pretty sure that licenses were loaded in the DB; now I am wondering if this upload writes any reference to the application server which was active when the upload was performed.
And what if I access the Jazz admin console through an HTTP server url (this HTTP server redirects to either the primary or the standby application server, according to what is set in plugin-cfg.xml).
If the upload writes a reference to the HTTP server url (instead of the application server url), this would avoid any problem.

permanent link
sriramak s (1762018) | answered Nov 30 '11, 1:01 a.m.
Hi,

We have implemented RTC,JTS on WebSphere Application 64 bit (Server1)..

DB2 Rational Insite also on WebSphere Application 32 biton same server (server1)

Need to take backup of of all config file and websphere config profiles.

Please let me know what are the files need to be backup:

RTC:
JTS
Rational Insite $WebSphere Applic

WebSphere Application.

below are the steps for backup...JTS,RTC andDb2 backup..

Procedure
To back up a DB2 database or other supported database:
1. Stop the Jazz Team Server.
The default Jazz Team Server is Apache Tomcat. For improved performance, scalability, and reliability, you can use WebSphere Application Server.
2. Follow the instructions in your database documentation for backing up the database. In the case of DB2, complete these steps:
a. Locate the Jazz database in DB2.
b. Right-click the Jazz database, and select Backup.
c. For the Media type, select File system, and point to the location for saving the backup.
d. Click Finish.
e. Repeat Steps 2a, 2b, and 2c for CCM and any other databases that you need to back up.
f. Restart the Jazz Team Server.
3. To restore an existing DB2 database with the version that you backed up:
a. Stop theJazz Team Server.
b. Locate the Jazz database in DB2.
c. Right-click the Jazz database, and select Restore.
d. Click Restore to new database.
e. Type a name for the new database.
f. Select the directory that contains the backup.
g. Click Finish.
h. Open the <JazzInstallDir>/server/conf/jts/teamserver.properties file.
i. Replace the name of the Jazz database with the name that you provided in step e, as shown in the following example.
j. #
k. # DB2 configuration
l. #
m.
n. # Comment out above lines, uncomment the following three lines and customize example location to use DB2
o. #com.ibm.team.repository.db.vendor = DB2
p. #com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.location=//localhost:50000/JAZZ:fullyMaterializeLobData=false;user=db2admin;password={password};
#com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.password=db2admin
Note: In the preceding example, the name of the Jazz database is JAZZ.
q. Save your changes.
r. Repeat Steps 3a to 3j for CCM and any other databases that you need to restore.
s. Restart the Jazz Team Server.

Please let me know what should be backed up wrt Procedure
To back up a DB2 database or other supported database:
1. Stop the Jazz Team Server.
The default Jazz Team Server is Apache Tomcat. For improved performance, scalability, and reliability, you can use WebSphere Application Server.
2. Follow the instructions in your database documentation for backing up the database. In the case of DB2, complete these steps:
a. Locate the Jazz database in DB2.
b. Right-click the Jazz database, and select Backup.
c. For the Media type, select File system, and point to the location for saving the backup.
d. Click Finish.
e. Repeat Steps 2a, 2b, and 2c for CCM and any other databases that you need to back up.
f. Restart the Jazz Team Server.
3. To restore an existing DB2 database with the version that you backed up:
a. Stop theJazz Team Server.
b. Locate the Jazz database in DB2.
c. Right-click the Jazz database, and select Restore.
d. Click Restore to new database.
e. Type a name for the new database.
f. Select the directory that contains the backup.
g. Click Finish.
h. Open the <JazzInstallDir>/server/conf/jts/teamserver.properties file.
i. Replace the name of the Jazz database with the name that you provided in step e, as shown in the following example.
j. #
k. # DB2 configuration
l. #
m.
n. # Comment out above lines, uncomment the following three lines and customize example location to use DB2
o. #com.ibm.team.repository.db.vendor = DB2
p. #com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.location=//localhost:50000/JAZZ:fullyMaterializeLobData=false;user=db2admin;password={password};
#com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.password=db2admin
Note: In the preceding example, the name of the Jazz database is JAZZ.
q. Save your changes.
r. Repeat Steps 3a to 3j for CCM and any other databases that you need to restore.
s. Restart the Jazz Team Server.

Regards,
Sriramak

permanent link
Luca Martinucci (1.0k397112) | answered Nov 30 '11, 3:06 a.m.
I have solved the issue.
Licenses are, after the import, stored in the database.
Then, you have to set the license server property for each application server.
This piece of information is automatically written in the teamserver.properties file of the JTS application for the application server which was active when the import of the licenses was done.
For the backup (inactive) application server, you can simply edit manually teamserver.properties and copy the license server line from the active application server.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 30 '11, 6:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please consider reading https://jazz.net/library/article/547 which is for RTC 3.0. It is valid for the other products too. There are some general considerations fr which files to back up. The files needed are the ones left after uninstalling a server or backed up in an upgrade. They typically reside in server/conf There might be others dependent on the application server and if you use LDAP.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.