It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

meaning of "(Replaced)"

Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | asked Oct 13 '11, 5:35 a.m.
edited Oct 12 '17, 4:13 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

After reloading a component who's project had gone out of sync, the component and the empty "Incoming" folder of the "Pending Changes" view are marked with a grey "(Replaced)".

What's the meaning of that? How do I get rid of it?

Cheers!

Uli

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Oct 13 '11, 8:37 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
That means that another user has performed a replace operation on that component which could potentially remove change sets. If you perform an accept, you will accept the replace which would result in you removing those change sets as well.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ulrich Eckhardt commented Oct 13 '11, 9:09 a.m. | edited Oct 12 '17, 4:13 p.m.
That means that another user has performed a replace operation on that component which could potentially remove change sets. If you perform an accept, you will accept the replace which would result in you removing those change sets as well.

I'm not sure if that explains it, at least I don't understand it yet. :O

What I did was going back and forth in history to retrieve former versions of a file. In order to do that, I suspended/resumed and discarded/accepted changesets. I can't give you an exact recipe to reproduce that unfortunately. I remember that in the middle of my attempts I had a "(Merged)" somewhere, which is yet another thing I don't fully understand yet.

What strikes me as odd is that the "Incoming (Replaced)" folder is empty. In other cases, empty folders in the pending changes view are simply not displayed, the "Show unchanged components" option of the Pending Changes view is not ticked.

I can accept this incoming folder. I get a warning then that I'm "accepting from components that have change sets discarded". It then asks me if I want to keep my outgoing changesets, which I do, of course. Accepting this then doesn't change anything, AFAICT.

I have noticed that if I suspend some outgoing changesets, the "(Replaced)" vanishes. The only changeset I can leave in there is still active and just contains some .jazzignore adjustments. The other changesets contain changes in places nobody but me works on, so they shouldn't conflict with my colleagues' changes.

Thanks for your time, Michael!

Uli

Michael Valenta commented Oct 14 '11, 8:51 a.m. | edited Oct 12 '17, 4:14 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The answer to your question lies in the change sets that you suspended which caused the "Replace" decorator to go away. Someone performed a replace operation on the component in the stream which resulted in those change sets being removed. There are actually three ways to make the decorator go away:

1) You can accept the replace which, as you noticed, prompts that it will remove your outgoing changes.
2) You can discard the change sets that were removed
3) You, or someone, can redeliver the removed change sets

Ulrich Eckhardt commented Oct 17 '11, 4:59 a.m. | edited Oct 12 '17, 4:14 p.m.

Thanks for your answer, Michael!

Just to make sure I understand this replace operation: The stream contains changesets A, B, C for the component. I then locally add changesets D and E. Now, someone decides that B and C were a bad idea and replaces them with B' and C' (or removes them entirely?). Now, my changesets don't apply to the state of that stream any more, so my changes get marked as "replaced". Does that explain how this "replaced" decorator came to be?

What I'm also wondering is how I can asses this situation. I probably don't want to just re-submit any changesets, because that would undo someone elses changes (and I assume they had a reason for those changes). So how do I find out who replaced anything in the stream? I haven't seen anything in the history or the event log.

That said, the "replaced" decorator is now gone, and it went just as mysteriously as it came, i.e. I don't know what change, mine or others', made it disappear. If I manage to make it appear again, I'll follow up to this.

Cheers!

Uli

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.