It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Clearquest import performance

Andrew Stevens (1482729) | asked Sep 27 '11, 8:24 a.m.
Hi,

I've got a couple of queries in ClearQuest returning sets of Requests and Tasks that I want to import into RTC (doesn't appear to be possible to build a query that does both...)
There's a few inner joins involved in the queries, including filters on ParentRequest as I'm wanting to preserve the parent/child relationships on the work items that are created. The basic process works okay, and I've eventually managed to successfully import a complete set of related Stories, Defects and Tasks for a single parent CQ. However, the performance is terrible - although the individual queries each run in a matter of seconds within the ClearQuest client, when I ran the same queries through the Import from ClearQuest option in RTC they took around 45 minutes (for tasks) and 90 minutes (for requests) to complete!
Changing the queries to encompass a larger set of parent CQs (around 70) increased the time for the tasks, but not too much - from 45 minutes to about 55. However, it took me 6 or 7 attempts before it actually completed, as I kept getting database errors:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Transaction (Process ID 108) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

I've not yet got the amended Requests query to finish running, due to deadlock errors, though the latest attempt's been going over an hour now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
I realise RTC's import is doing additional work to CQ's results grid (e.g. extracting the attachments) But should it really be so much slower? And what's it doing that would cause deadlocks, given there shouldn't be any updates going on? Are there any settings I can change that might improve things?

Andy

P.S. I spoke too soon - 1 hour 15 minutes elapsed, and I got another deadlock error :-( At this rate I'll have to wait till after midnight to try and avoid anyone else being in clearquest while it runs...

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.