It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1 - z/OS - Pre installation questions

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Aug 19 '11, 2:23 p.m.
1. We currently just run z/OS HTTP Server. Will that be ok with RTC which I understand uses HTTPS?

2. With the Ported Tools, I mainly run SSH and SFTP. Will that be a problem when using the ISPF Gateway with the bfagent?

3. We currently use the RACF LDAP server, but I have plans to implement Tivoli Directory Server for z/OS with z/OS 1.12. Will that work with RTC?

4. Does RTC come with an OEM Websphere license or would we use Tomcat?

3 answers

permanent link
Bruce Green (30124) | answered Aug 22 '11, 3:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
1. We currently just run z/OS HTTP Server. Will that be ok with RTC which I understand uses HTTPS?

2. With the Ported Tools, I mainly run SSH and SFTP. Will that be a problem when using the ISPF Gateway with the bfagent?

3. We currently use the RACF LDAP server, but I have plans to implement Tivoli Directory Server for z/OS with z/OS 1.12. Will that work with RTC?

1. So there are two z/OS HTTP servers. "IBM HTTP Server on z/OS" and "IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere on z/OS". This presentation (although a bit dated) does a good job to explain the differences : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.iea.was_v6/was/6.1z/IHS/WASv61_IHS_IEA_zOS/player.html
Are you tied to one or the other of these HTTP servers for any reason? What is the requirement? I think both should be OK although I have not personally tested them on z/OS. The "for WebSphere" version should be essentially equivalent to non z/OS functionality of the HTTP server so should certainly work with RTC.

2. I don't understand the concern - could you please explain? The RTC on z/OS dependency on Ported Tools is for cURL for the RTC ISPF daemon. I'm not sure about the overlap you are concerned about.

3. Can you be more specific about how you are using the LDAP server? Are you sure you're not already using the Tivoli Directory Server? This presentation talks about the differences between the two servers : ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/s390/zos/racf/pdf/share_08_2007_zos_ldap_server_options.pdf Is there a reason to use LDAP rather than secure with WAS directly if the server is running on z/OS? In any case, we have done some testing with this type of configuration without problems but I'd still like to understand your use case if possible.

4. Yes, WebSphere V7 for z/OS OEM Edition is "bundled" with RTC. Note that the SMP/E install is actually from a separate DVD.

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Aug 23 '11, 5:59 a.m.

1. So there are two z/OS HTTP servers. "IBM HTTP Server on z/OS" and "IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere on z/OS". This presentation (although a bit dated) does a good job to explain the differences : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.iea.was_v6/was/6.1z/IHS/WASv61_IHS_IEA_zOS/player.html
Are you tied to one or the other of these HTTP servers for any reason? What is the requirement? I think both should be OK although I have not personally tested them on z/OS. The "for WebSphere" version should be essentially equivalent to non z/OS functionality of the HTTP server so should certainly work with RTC.

2. I don't understand the concern - could you please explain? The RTC on z/OS dependency on Ported Tools is for cURL for the RTC ISPF daemon. I'm not sure about the overlap you are concerned about.

3. Can you be more specific about how you are using the LDAP server? Are you sure you're not already using the Tivoli Directory Server? This presentation talks about the differences between the two servers : ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/s390/zos/racf/pdf/share_08_2007_zos_ldap_server_options.pdf Is there a reason to use LDAP rather than secure with WAS directly if the server is running on z/OS? In any case, we have done some testing with this type of configuration without problems but I'd still like to understand your use case if possible.

4. Yes, WebSphere V7 for z/OS OEM Edition is "bundled" with RTC. Note that the SMP/E install is actually from a separate DVD.

For item 2 based on the customer's question do you see any potential problem or conflict in using RTC with the ISPF gateway where the current use is with SSH and SFTP?
For item number 3 I believe the real questions are "is the RACF LDAP server a requirement" and "will the Tivoli Directory Server" work with RTC on z/OS?

permanent link
Bruce Green (30124) | answered Aug 23 '11, 8:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For item 2 based on the customer's question do you see any potential problem or conflict in using RTC with the ISPF gateway where the current use is with SSH and SFTP?
No

For item number 3 I believe the real questions are "is the RACF LDAP server a requirement" and "will the Tivoli Directory Server" work with RTC on z/OS?No, Yes

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.