It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unstable RTC 3.0.1 on Ubuntu

Somchai LIMSIRORATANA (111) | asked Aug 18 '11, 7:49 a.m.
I had tried more than a month to install RTC 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 and found many errors when setup.

Sometimes, it failed when creating tables. Sometimes, it failed when registering application. Many many errors that made me tried to solve by changing the database server to DB2, changing the JRE to Sun JRE, create and manage databases by using repotools, etc. However, it still had random error.

Finally, I found the solution that is very just a little things. It is quite shame to say but I think it would be useful to someone.

The installation guide at the topic "Special instructions for UNIX systems".

Installing > Installing the Rational solution for CLM > Planning the deployment and installation > Deployment and installation considerations > Special considerations for installing on UNIX, IBM i, and z/OS systems

Say that, we have to increase the limit of open files by changing the /etc/security/limits.conf and individual user may use the command:

ulimit -n 65536

to set the limit of open files to 65536.

I done both of them and when I check by command:

ulimit -n

It show 65536. That is correct.

However, the problem is:
When I install and run the RTC, I usually switch to superuser with command:

sudo su

Then, the problem is:
If we check the limit of open files again with "ulimit -n", it show 1024, not 65536.

So, this cause the random error when the RTC worked to the limit of open files.

I solved this by adding the command "ulimit -n 65536" in the server.startup script. Then, everything run smoothly.

One answer

permanent link
Steven Zheng (21745) | answered Aug 18 '11, 9:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sorry to hear about that...
Wish you have raised your problem here sooner, there has been a tech note documented: https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21403391
Next time, you may check with the log of application server, it may tell "Too many files opened" no matter what's the error message you got during setup process.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.