It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I start using RTC version control without Work Item?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | asked Aug 15 '11, 9:21 a.m.
Hi

We want to start using RTC for version control and build but haven't got a plan for work items. Can I use RTC just for version control without using work item? What's the consequence?

Thanks
Jirong

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 15 '11, 11:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

We want to start using RTC for version control and build but haven't got a plan for work items. Can I use RTC just for version control without using work item? What's the consequence?

Thanks
Jirong

Yes, you can. There are no consequences. You just have no traceability to work items. You should check that no behavior is configured that requires work items on deliver.

In general there are several adoption paths, just starting with SCM only is one of the scenarios.

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Aug 15 '11, 12:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jirong,

yes, you can use just the SCM part of RTC. Basically, you would be delivering change sets with comments rather than change sets linked to work items. Make sure to set the appropriate preconditions in your process configuration.
The consequence is that in not using work items, you are missing out on the central part of everything else RTC has to offer: without work items, no metadata, no workflow, no iterative planning, no meaningful process.

- Arne

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered Aug 15 '11, 1:34 p.m.
Hi Jirong,

yes, you can use just the SCM part of RTC. Basically, you would be delivering change sets with comments rather than change sets linked to work items. Make sure to set the appropriate preconditions in your process configuration.
The consequence is that in not using work items, you are missing out on the central part of everything else RTC has to offer: without work items, no metadata, no workflow, no iterative planning, no meaningful process.

- Arne

Thanks for the replies, guys.

It's just the project teams have to start coding shortly, but the organization haven't reached into a concrete idea about the processes. So I will get their code into RTC first, then go back to work on Work Item part.

Thanks
Jirong

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.