It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrade from RTC 3.0 to 3.0.1 error

Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | asked Jul 25 '11, 9:03 p.m.
Hi

I have a RTC 3.0 installation with all default Deby and Tomcat. I followed the instruction here to upgrade to 3.0.1, but got this error after login to server.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_upgrade_rtc3.html

Everything works fine until I copied the following directory from old 3.0 to 3.0.1:
<JazzInstallDir>\server\conf\jts\derby\repositoryDB
<JazzInstallDir>\server\conf\ccm\derby

I tried many times, even removed 10 developer licenses from 3.0 before upgrade.

The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.DiagnosticRestService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.IDiagnosticExecutionService", failed to be activated.ID CRJAZ1972E
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.buildServicesMap(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:319)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:652)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.getService(ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.java:133)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:248)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:257)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getServiceForRemoteAccess(OsgiServicesManager.java:550)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.handleRequest2(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1803)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.handleRequest(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1723)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.service(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1632)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.internal.ServletManager$ServletWrapper.service(ServletManager.java:180)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ServletRegistration.handleRequest(ServletRegistration.java:90)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.processAlias(ProxyServlet.java:111)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.service(ProxyServlet.java:75)
org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge.BridgeServlet.service(BridgeServlet.java:120)
com.ibm.team.repository.server.servletbridge.JazzServlet.service(JazzServlet.java:76)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:563)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:420)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:879)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:811)
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.DiagnosticExecutionService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.IDiagnosticResultService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.buildServicesMap(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:319)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:652)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.getService(ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.java:133)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:248)
... 35 more.
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.DiagnosticResultService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.IRepositoryItemService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
... 40 more.
Caused by:
The service class "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RepositoryItemService" failed during activation. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1092I
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.bindRequiredServices(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:246)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.performActivation(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:603)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:665)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.activate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:168)
... 76 more.
Caused by:
There is a version mismatch between the installed code and the database. See the product documentation for migrating the Jazz repository.
(java.lang.RuntimeException)ID CRJAZ1050I
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RepositoryItemService.validateInstalledComponents(RepositoryItemService.java:252)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RepositoryItemService.doStartup(RepositoryItemService.java:210)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RepositoryItemService.activate(RepositoryItemService.java:131)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.AbstractService.bindRequiredServices(AbstractService.java:188)
... 80 more.

6 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 27 '11, 2:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jirong,

I tried exactly what you did yesterday and it worked like a charm. I am not sure what the issue is here. What I did in addition to the help was to delete the existing derby databases in the 3.0.1 install.

I only copied the repositoryDB folders over, not the complete ccm/derby as you describe below. I wonder if there is any more information in the logs?

Did you start with 3.0 or did you migrate that from 2.x? In that case you would have to use the upgrade option during install and to keep the jazz context root. But I am assuming since you copy from CCM that is not the case.

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered Jul 27 '11, 9:51 a.m.
It's a 3.0 to 3.0.1 upgrade with deby and Tomcat. Unfortunately I almost tried everything but it still doesn't work, so I gave up:

1. I simply rename the original folder and copied from 3.0 for deby/repositoryDB for both jts and ccm. Then in the doc it only mentioned deby for ccm so I tried as well.

2. I uninstalled 3.0.1 and re-install a couple of time.

3. I asked one of IBMer to go into to my computer to follow the manual upgrade procedure as well. Same result.

4. I google and someone said need to remove license before upgrade, I did.

I don't understand is:

1. Why from 3.0 to 3.0.1 can use a simple upgrade from IM?
2. The upgrade procedure instruct me to install 3.0.1 to a new folder, why not just over-write the existing 3.0?
3. After all these upgrade, my original 3.0 still works, nothing changed.

It's weird.

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
John Vasta (2.6k15) | answered Jul 27 '11, 9:57 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Did you follow all the instructions in the help topic, including running the upgrade script? The database schema has changed going from 3.0 to 3.0.1, so new tables need to be created in the databases. The upgrade script should do that for you (by running the repotools -addTables commands).

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered Jul 27 '11, 10:02 a.m.
Did you follow all the instructions in the help topic, including running the upgrade script? The database schema has changed going from 3.0 to 3.0.1, so new tables need to be created in the databases. The upgrade script should do that for you (by running the repotools -addTables commands).

Yeah, we tried both auto upgrade script and manual upgrade script, same result. Anyway, I already gave up and I am going to install everything from scratch in a new Windows 2008 env, the current one is 2003. Thanks for your help.

Jirong

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 27 '11, 10:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It's a 3.0 to 3.0.1 upgrade with deby and Tomcat. Unfortunately I almost tried everything but it still doesn't work, so I gave up:

1. I simply rename the original folder and copied from 3.0 for deby/repositoryDB for both jts and ccm. Then in the doc it only mentioned deby for ccm so I tried as well.

2. I uninstalled 3.0.1 and re-install a couple of time.

3. I asked one of IBMer to go into to my computer to follow the manual upgrade procedure as well. Same result.

4. I google and someone said need to remove license before upgrade, I did.

I don't understand is:

1. Why from 3.0 to 3.0.1 can use a simple upgrade from IM?
2. The upgrade procedure instruct me to install 3.0.1 to a new folder, why not just over-write the existing 3.0?
3. After all these upgrade, my original 3.0 still works, nothing changed.

It's weird.

Thanks
Jirong

Hi Jirong,

there are reasons for the process. And again, I followed the process described in the interactive upgrade guide and it did work for me several times. The help says copy both over and I did and it worked.

There must be more than just that one message in the migration log that fails. Is there any other indicator?

Which OS are you on? Can you ran a repotools-ccm -verify before doing the copy?
Please make sure to run the commandline as administrator if on windows and check the migration logs closely.

As per the description from http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html for RTC 3.0 to 3.0.1 you need to run the

locale.bat -showParamFileName

file to find the parmeter files to edit. You need to supply your old JTS and CCM install location in the parameter file for JTS and for CCM. You then have to run the

upgrade\jts_upgrade
upgrade\ccm_upgrade

to upgrade your database. If you do not do that the copied databases will have an incompatible schema and content and that is likely what happens here. You can't just use the old databases without running the upgrade.

permanent link
Henry Armburg Jennings (13076) | answered Apr 25 '12, 9:11 a.m.
Hi,

For anyone that has this problem in the future.

I've just had the same problem and solved it by running repotools-xxx -addTables

This will update the "com.ibm.team.repository.auth" valueas required.

Other than that, update scripts worked for everything.

Henry

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.