It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Experiments with InfoSphere Data Architect and RTC

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | asked Jul 19 '11, 4:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

I have been looking at the InfoSphere Data Architect tool v7.5.3 and RTC again. IDA is a database tool that does logical and physical data modelling and a lot of other things beside. I have installed RTC v2.0.0.2 ifix6 (as IDA is based on Eclipse 3.4.2).

I installed RTC *into* IDA using the Installation Manager - it gave some warnings at the end of the install but this does not seem to have caused any problems (so far).

I created a normal RTC project, and then started adding IDA projects to RTC using the normal Team->Share Project - and could deliver changes as per normal. I also accepted changes into another IDA instance. The Change Explorer is nice - showing diagram changes as well as text changes. There is no choice in how you merge - more a merge of the incoming changes into your model.

Not tried planning or any other features yet - but looks good so far.

If anyone else has used IDA and RTC - and have any experiences to share (bad and good) - it would be useful to hear them here.

thanks

anthony

One answer

permanent link
Tristan Hoffmann (212) | answered Jan 09 '14, 5:08 a.m.
To me it seems while Data Architect seems to be officially supported, it is almost not documented at all so probably nobody uses it.
For example most articles / tutorials recommend the shell-share installation which apparently does not work at all with the latest version of Data Architect, I even tried with help from support and on both Linux and Windows.
I finally got it to work using the p2 method, but still can not share a project with the Jazz Server (see my question here).

If anyone knows a good (and recent) tutorial or uses IDA+RTC and knows how to do this I'd be glad to hear from you.

Comments
Anthony Kesterton commented Jan 09 '14, 5:28 a.m. | edited Jan 09 '14, 5:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Tristan

Since my original post - things have improved a lot.  However, I completely agree we need the integration better documented and some examples.  I am aware of a few customers using this integration - on older versions of IDA.  Bear in mind I don't work with a large number of users, so my "view" is limited.  I put in a suggestion on your question as a starter - will carry on the conversation there.

Also - the IDA users will probably be using the developerWorks forums and not jazz.net.  I started a new thread on that forum here

anthony

Tristan Hoffmann commented Jan 09 '14, 5:41 a.m.

Hi Anthony,

I did check developerWorks before and found this great article. However, both the installation and usage seem to work differently now, so maybe just updating this article would be a very good idea.
Thanks for your help :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.