Experiments with InfoSphere Data Architect and RTC
Hi
I have been looking at the InfoSphere Data Architect tool v7.5.3 and RTC again. IDA is a database tool that does logical and physical data modelling and a lot of other things beside. I have installed RTC v2.0.0.2 ifix6 (as IDA is based on Eclipse 3.4.2).
I installed RTC *into* IDA using the Installation Manager - it gave some warnings at the end of the install but this does not seem to have caused any problems (so far).
I created a normal RTC project, and then started adding IDA projects to RTC using the normal Team->Share Project - and could deliver changes as per normal. I also accepted changes into another IDA instance. The Change Explorer is nice - showing diagram changes as well as text changes. There is no choice in how you merge - more a merge of the incoming changes into your model.
Not tried planning or any other features yet - but looks good so far.
If anyone else has used IDA and RTC - and have any experiences to share (bad and good) - it would be useful to hear them here.
thanks
anthony
I have been looking at the InfoSphere Data Architect tool v7.5.3 and RTC again. IDA is a database tool that does logical and physical data modelling and a lot of other things beside. I have installed RTC v2.0.0.2 ifix6 (as IDA is based on Eclipse 3.4.2).
I installed RTC *into* IDA using the Installation Manager - it gave some warnings at the end of the install but this does not seem to have caused any problems (so far).
I created a normal RTC project, and then started adding IDA projects to RTC using the normal Team->Share Project - and could deliver changes as per normal. I also accepted changes into another IDA instance. The Change Explorer is nice - showing diagram changes as well as text changes. There is no choice in how you merge - more a merge of the incoming changes into your model.
Not tried planning or any other features yet - but looks good so far.
If anyone else has used IDA and RTC - and have any experiences to share (bad and good) - it would be useful to hear them here.
thanks
anthony
One answer
To me it seems while Data Architect seems to be officially supported, it is almost not documented at all so probably nobody uses it.
For example most articles / tutorials recommend the shell-share installation which apparently does not work at all with the latest version of Data Architect, I even tried with help from support and on both Linux and Windows.
I finally got it to work using the p2 method, but still can not share a project with the Jazz Server (see my question here).
If anyone knows a good (and recent) tutorial or uses IDA+RTC and knows how to do this I'd be glad to hear from you.
For example most articles / tutorials recommend the shell-share installation which apparently does not work at all with the latest version of Data Architect, I even tried with help from support and on both Linux and Windows.
I finally got it to work using the p2 method, but still can not share a project with the Jazz Server (see my question here).
If anyone knows a good (and recent) tutorial or uses IDA+RTC and knows how to do this I'd be glad to hear from you.